What's new

Portfolio

"So I have somewhere to have them, something that is nice to look at, I hate Facebook and Flickr is the ugliest site ever. Photobucket is rubbish. I just want somewhere to keep my nice pictures, the ones I like."


I don't think using 500pix should be an issue what-so-ever. You're right. It's your money. Actually I was impressed with the presentation and I'm considering opening an account for myself. As you say, a nice way to store and present your photos. I think everyone's issue is the word "Portfolio" I personally don't have a problem with it. In your case, The World Dictionary defines "Portfolio" as...
"the contents of such a case, such as drawings, paintings, or photographs, that demonstrate recent work: an art student's portfolio"

Which part of that is a problem?
 
Very true, I do appreciate the comments, as said before, if I need to work on my composition, then I will, this means that I will think more about how each shot is laid out, not just the settings required to shoot it.
 
"So I have somewhere to have them, something that is nice to look at, I hate Facebook and Flickr is the ugliest site ever. Photobucket is rubbish. I just want somewhere to keep my nice pictures, the ones I like."


I don't think using 500pix should be an issue what-so-ever. You're right. It's your money. Actually I was impressed with the presentation and I'm concerning opening an account for myself. As you say, a nice way to store and present your photos. I think everyone's issue is the word "Portfolio" I personally don't have a problem with it. In your case, The World Dictionary defines "Portfolio" as...
"the contents of such a case, such as drawings, paintings, or photographs, that demonstrate recent work: an art student's portfolio"

Which part of that is a problem?
I don't know, if I had said this is my professional portfolio then fair enough, but I did stipulate that it was part of a free trial!
 
also, my favorite comment ever is "read up on and study the rule of thirds!" It's like "uh, put things 1/3 of the way in the image? That's it, you 'studied' this?"
 
"So I have somewhere to have them, something that is nice to look at, I hate Facebook and Flickr is the ugliest site ever. Photobucket is rubbish. I just want somewhere to keep my nice pictures, the ones I like."


I don't think using 500pix should be an issue what-so-ever. You're right. It's your money. Actually I was impressed with the presentation and I'm concerning opening an account for myself. As you say, a nice way to store and present your photos. I think everyone's issue is the word "Portfolio" I personally don't have a problem with it. In your case, The World Dictionary defines "Portfolio" as...
"the contents of such a case, such as drawings, paintings, or photographs, that demonstrate recent work: an art student's portfolio"

Which part of that is a problem?
I don't know, if I had said this is my professional portfolio then fair enough, but I did stipulate that it was part of a free trial!

professional portfolio is sort of redundant. By calling it a portfolio, you are implying that it is professional. Professional portfolio would be like you saying 'professional resume' Resumes are professional by definition, just like portfolio.

I get that you probably didn't understand that originally. I'm just telling you that's why you got the feedback you did. It was harsh, because portfolio is a very certain standard, and screwing up a portfolio can mean thousands of dollars lost. I dont think it was an intent of slamming you or anything. It was you asked a question that I dont think you fully understood, and thus got responses that you felt to be unwarranted or non-sensical.
 
also, my favorite comment ever is "read up on and study the rule of thirds!" It's like "uh, put things 1/3 of the way in the image? That's it, you 'studied' this?"

What I actually said was...

I don't know how to spell it out that I understand the rule of thirds, I also understand about composition. I spend many hours reading and watching tutorials and looking at peoples work, this is how I found this site. I am slowly learning and changing and trying new things.

I know the rules, I just don't follow them. There is a very big difference.

Studying various things, like light room tutorials recently. As I have just downloaded it and am learning about it. I am fully self taught. Therefore I am proud of where I am. It's a hobby, I've had no lessons, I worked hard for the money for my meager equipment which I love and I don't get paid for it! but I enjoy it! Which is what I think a lot of people lose sight of.

Enjoy it!
 
also, my favorite comment ever is "read up on and study the rule of thirds!" It's like "uh, put things 1/3 of the way in the image? That's it, you 'studied' this?"

What I actually said was...

I don't know how to spell it out that I understand the rule of thirds, I also understand about composition. I spend many hours reading and watching tutorials and looking at peoples work, this is how I found this site. I am slowly learning and changing and trying new things.

I know the rules, I just don't follow them. There is a very big difference.

Studying various things, like light room tutorials recently. As I have just downloaded it and am learning about it. I am fully self taught. Therefore I am proud of where I am. It's a hobby, I've had no lessons, I worked hard for the money for my meager equipment which I love and I don't get paid for it! but I enjoy it! Which is what I think a lot of people lose sight of.

Enjoy it!

I wasnt referring to you with that post. I was more referring to the people who just respond with "read up on the rule of thirds!"
 
also, my favorite comment ever is "read up on and study the rule of thirds!" It's like "uh, put things 1/3 of the way in the image? That's it, you 'studied' this?"

What I actually said was...

I don't know how to spell it out that I understand the rule of thirds, I also understand about composition. I spend many hours reading and watching tutorials and looking at peoples work, this is how I found this site. I am slowly learning and changing and trying new things.

I know the rules, I just don't follow them. There is a very big difference.

Studying various things, like light room tutorials recently. As I have just downloaded it and am learning about it. I am fully self taught. Therefore I am proud of where I am. It's a hobby, I've had no lessons, I worked hard for the money for my meager equipment which I love and I don't get paid for it! but I enjoy it! Which is what I think a lot of people lose sight of.

Enjoy it!

I wasnt referring to you with that post. I was more referring to the people who just respond with "read up on the rule of thirds!"

Please accept my apologies then! :hugs:
 
Rick58 said:
I am really, REALLY tired of hearing about "the rule of thirds" Yes we all know about it. It's been around since the 1700's. I know it sounds really cool, but can't we find another rule to use to put people's photos down with?

I've said it many time... though a agree with basic rules as a foundation, if everyone follows every rule then we all have the same pictures. Nothing wrong with breaking the rules and setting your own style. BUT, break the rules for a reason not just out of lack of knowledge.
 
There are rules?


Interesting......
 
Nice job overall, but it's hard to give critique on any one thing when looking at a gallery. It looks like you've improved, so keep on shooting!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom