Portrait CC

alarionov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some shots of my niece. CC please. Oh my she would not stop making faces lol. This was difficult.

3341025745_2e0d9c7534.jpg

3341025785_15dd09010e_o.jpg

3340967393_94d720dda9_o.jpg

3341799446_4445b2077f_o.jpg

when I set up the light behind her on the last two it made her hair look red with kinda a greenish tint to it:(

#1 you cut off her foot
#2 you cut off her arm
#3 seems very yellow
#4 i would have zoomed out some, as she is a bigger girl to begin with, so when you cause her to fill the WHOLE frame like in this shot, it makes her look even bigger

well i don't agree with much of the above assesment, so you can take it with a pinch of salt.

You must only worry about 'cutting things off' when it effects the composition in a negative way.
It is a slight niggle that the tip of her foot is out of frame in #1. However her arm is NOT cut off in #2, it is simply the way its been composed (like it or hate it). Saying 'its cut off' (which is fast becoming an annoying term some people use too much) is like saying her waist is 'cut off'... and her legs....and her feet...
#3 could do with a slight colour alteration and is a little soft, but she has a great smile and you caught it well.
I like #4, could maybe do with a little more arm to make it more deliberate, again is soft and would be better with colour correcting, but she looks great.

:thumbup:

I am still learning about lighting stuff.

What kind of light did you use for the photo 3 and 4?

It seems like the on camera flash was on and that give photos a little flat. It maybe better if you can re-position the flash (external flash), if possible, off the camera.

so you can take it with a pinch of salt.

i find comments like this to be very rude... just because YOU dont agree with me, doesnt mean she should take it with a grain of salt. she asked for CC, i gave it to her (or him??) for me, the small amount of the foot cut of is VERY distracting, for the simple fact that, when i see it, i say to myself "the photog wasnt paying attenion to the whole body, and cut off the foot.

i dont mind people saying they dont agree with my comments, but to say "dont listen to him" is just plain rude...

i could very easily say, take Arch's comments with a pinch of salt.. just because you have 7000+ posts in your count, doesn't make your CC any more valid then mine, it just tells me you have a lot more free time on your hands... learn some respect.

I am still learning about lighting stuff.

What kind of light did you use for the photo 3 and 4?

It seems like the on camera flash was on and that give photos a little flat. It maybe better if you can re-position the flash (external flash), if possible, off the camera.

No flash was used on or off camera as I dont have an off camera flash yet. I used lamps and lights that were available inside the house..

#1 you cut off her foot
#2 you cut off her arm
#3 seems very yellow
#4 i would have zoomed out some, as she is a bigger girl to begin with, so when you cause her to fill the WHOLE frame like in this shot, it makes her look even bigger

thanks for the input, yea a bit teed off that I cut off her shoe a little however #2 was intentional maybe not the best choice of composition though oh well...
I tried and tried to get that yellow out in Photoshop.

i find comments like this to be very rude... just because YOU dont agree with me, doesnt mean she should take it with a grain of salt. she asked for CC, i gave it to her (or him??) for me, the small amount of the foot cut of is VERY distracting, for the simple fact that, when i see it, i say to myself "the photog wasnt paying attenion to the whole body, and cut off the foot.

i dont mind people saying they dont agree with my comments, but to say "dont listen to him" is just plain rude...

i could very easily say, take Arch's comments with a pinch of salt.. just because you have 7000+ posts in your count, doesn't make your CC any more valid then mine, it just tells me you have a lot more free time on your hands... learn some respect.

I said CAN take with a pinch of salt... you can also choose not to.

Don't take it too personally.
Really, this has nothing to do with post count either (where did that come from?) its just these short, unexplained 'drive by' critiques that i was referring to, full of generalizations about what a 'critique' should be. Talking of learning respect you could do with following your own advise.
Now don't hijack this thread please its rude.

I find the first two very appealing and playful. The second two are very nice in terms of subject - she has a lovely smile and seems comfortable, but the color cast from being indoors is distracting. I'm sure you could de-yellow it in PS for the most part. I use PSE and you can go to color, and then "correct color cast" or something like that and click until you get what you want.

Are you using a tripod? The first two look sharp, but the second two do not look as sharp, probably due in part to the lighting, but a tripod might help too.

Instead of using any flash, try to schedule for midmorning and, assuming you have a nice bright window to work with, you can use natural light and reflectors just as well as a flash set-up. That will help with your color cast issues as well.

I find the first two very appealing and playful. The second two are very nice in terms of subject - she has a lovely smile and seems comfortable, but the color cast from being indoors is distracting. I'm sure you could de-yellow it in PS for the most part. I use PSE and you can go to color, and then "correct color cast" or something like that and click until you get what you want.

Are you using a tripod? The first two look sharp, but the second two do not look as sharp, probably due in part to the lighting, but a tripod might help too.

Instead of using any flash, try to schedule for midmorning and, assuming you have a nice bright window to work with, you can use natural light and reflectors just as well as a flash set-up. That will help with your color cast issues as well.

the first two actually were hand held and the last two on tripod hmm....
I always forget about reflectors dang:blushing:

thanks for the advice

I would attribute that to the lighting then - my poorly lit shots are never half as sharp as my well-lit ones.

Sorry cant find the exif data.
for whatever reason I cant seem to find the exif data now.. I am using CS4 on a trial basis and now cant figuere out how to locate the exif data.

well i don't agree with much of the above assesment, so you can take it with a pinch of salt.

You must only worry about 'cutting things off' when it effects the composition in a negative way.
It is a slight niggle that the tip of her foot is out of frame in #1. However her arm is NOT cut off in #2, it is simply the way its been composed (like it or hate it). Saying 'its cut off' (which is fast becoming an annoying term some people use too much) is like saying her waist is 'cut off'... and her legs....and her feet...
#3 could do with a slight colour alteration and is a little soft, but she has a great smile and you caught it well.
I like #4, could maybe do with a little more arm to make it more deliberate, again is soft and would be better with colour correcting, but she looks great.

:thumbup:

Thanks.. :hug::

she is only 15 and super self conscious so she doesnt always let me take full body shots.

The first two are ok. Your focus looks off or there was some camera shake or something. They dont look as sharp as they could be. The first shot also has some white balance issues. The foot and toe do bother me as does the arm. Its more of a personal preference kinda thing though. As far as the last two they are super easy fixes
3342122331_1aed5abdc4_o.jpg

Last edited:
The first two are ok. Your focus looks off or there was some camera shake or something. They dont look as sharp as they could be. The first shot also has come white balance issues. The foot and toe do bother me as does the arm. Its more of a personal preference kinda thing though. As far as the last two they are super easy fixes
3342122331_1aed5abdc4_o.jpg

That is totally better! Thanks so much..
that why I love you guys here always so helpfull:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back