Portrait Contouring Light Challenge

Unfortunately I really suck at retouching and can't figure out what I can't figure out there
This isn't a retouching challenge, it's all about the lighting.
oh lol of course it isn't!

I read this when you posted it and came back after a day or so... because I always think of you in terms of retouching I just went with my thoughts :)

sorry, continue!

ok people.
i think things are cleaned up here, so no more disruptions to this thread please.

two things.

1: the moderation team AND administration are in agreement that the diagram posted in this thread is NOT AN ISSUE...so please stop arguing about it, both here and in PM.
this issue is closed. whether you personally agree with the decision or not is irrelevant. you don't have to like the decisions here, but if you wish to be an active member,
you have to abide by them.

2: starting arguments on other people's threads is also against TPF rules.
this also creates work for the mod team when we have to go in and clean things up like comments and quotes.
both of these instances are grounds for a temp ban. while we have largely withheld temp bans as punishment lately, the instances of people
ignoring mod warnings are increasing, so I think it might be time to start using temp bans as a "cooling off" period for those that get too heated
and can't resist hitting the reply button.

seriously guys...I don't care if you disagree with me. I don't even care if you hate my guts. but I promise you, crying to other mods and administration when you get a time out
because of ignoring mod warnings is going to fall on deaf ears.
so please...I'm begging you guys. chillax.
if you don't like what's going on in a particular thread, report the post. EVERY mod and admin receives a notification, and we often talk about it in committee before issuing a formal decision.

further disruption of this thread will result in disciplinary action.
thank you for your cooperation.

I didn't see many new technical challenges recently, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a challenge of my own. I think this is a useful one. To clarify, this is a LIGHTING technical challenge, not a retouching challenge. The point of this lighting style is to reduce retouching; you're essentially starting the retouching process at the moment of exposure.

I'm often asked for lighting advice from other portrait photographers, and every time I give the same advice: educate yourself on the concept behind the makeup technique called "Contouring and Highlighting", and apply it to your lighting. It's a fairly basic idea once you understand it's purpose, which is to highlight, enhance and sculpt (contour) certain features of the face and bring focus to the most beautiful features on the human face. The entire concept for the makeup technique is to mimic flattering light, so why not reverse that idea and just use flattering light? Coincidentally, applying this concept to your lighting will considerably reduce the amount of retouching needed on the face, saving you lot's of time. Isn't that neat? :biggrin-93:

This diagram gives you a basic idea of what the lighting pattern should be based off of. You can always deviate for more dramatic enhancements or an entirely different look. What's important though is that you are sculpting the facial features.
tyd54f8_by_danostergren-dauzkxw.png

A light source that is positioned at an angle that shines down on the model is needed, as this will create shadows under certain features such as the cheekbones that will sculpt the person's face. You decide just how high above the subject you angle the light; the higher the angle, the more dramatic your contour will become. Some images call for more dramatic sculpting, while a soft and subtle contour may be best for others. You don't have to follow the diagram exactly, but the general idea is to use light that sculpts your subject's features. This is possible and applicable to both available light and studio light.

Your challenge is to apply this idea to your lighting the next time you do photos that feature a person or people, and share them here. You're welcome to share photos that you've already taken that have this lighting pattern as well, but I highly recommend that you make a conscious effort to apply the idea to your people photos because I believe it will enhance the beauty of your subject by a lot, male or female.

There's no prize and this isn't a contest, it's meant to just be a challenge to help improve on portrait lighting.

Well, my black mannequin head should be delivered tomorrow. Really stoked about this project. My goal is to gain an understanding / control on directing natural light.

Should I add my project results in this thread or start a new one?

I didn't see many new technical challenges recently, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a challenge of my own. I think this is a useful one. To clarify, this is a LIGHTING technical challenge, not a retouching challenge. The point of this lighting style is to reduce retouching; you're essentially starting the retouching process at the moment of exposure.

I'm often asked for lighting advice from other portrait photographers, and every time I give the same advice: educate yourself on the concept behind the makeup technique called "Contouring and Highlighting", and apply it to your lighting. It's a fairly basic idea once you understand it's purpose, which is to highlight, enhance and sculpt (contour) certain features of the face and bring focus to the most beautiful features on the human face. The entire concept for the makeup technique is to mimic flattering light, so why not reverse that idea and just use flattering light? Coincidentally, applying this concept to your lighting will considerably reduce the amount of retouching needed on the face, saving you lot's of time. Isn't that neat? :biggrin-93:

This diagram gives you a basic idea of what the lighting pattern should be based off of. You can always deviate for more dramatic enhancements or an entirely different look. What's important though is that you are sculpting the facial features.

A light source that is positioned at an angle that shines down on the model is needed, as this will create shadows under certain features such as the cheekbones that will sculpt the person's face. You decide just how high above the subject you angle the light; the higher the angle, the more dramatic your contour will become. Some images call for more dramatic sculpting, while a soft and subtle contour may be best for others. You don't have to follow the diagram exactly, but the general idea is to use light that sculpts your subject's features. This is possible and applicable to both available light and studio light.

Your challenge is to apply this idea to your lighting the next time you do photos that feature a person or people, and share them here. You're welcome to share photos that you've already taken that have this lighting pattern as well, but I highly recommend that you make a conscious effort to apply the idea to your people photos because I believe it will enhance the beauty of your subject by a lot, male or female.

There's no prize and this isn't a contest, it's meant to just be a challenge to help improve on portrait lighting.

Well, my black mannequin head should be delivered tomorrow. Really stoked about this project. My goal is to gain an understanding / control on directing natural light.

Yes absolutely, but definitely try it on a human subject too.

Yes absolutely, but definitely try it on a human subject too.

I will, now I know what to sorta expect.

Hey y'all, don't be afraid to post your results or ask questions here. I know the issue with the makeup diagram kind of killed the momentum here, but please don't let this stop you from giving this technique a try!

or ask questions here.

Ok I have one. You've touched on emphasizing facial features, how about lighting to "deemphasise" facial flaws. IE: wrinkles, pores, age spots etc. Higher angles bring out the facial structure but, it can also highlight defects. Comments?

or ask questions here.

Ok I have one. You've touched on emphasizing facial features, how about lighting to "deemphasise" facial flaws. IE: wrinkles, pores, age spots etc. Higher angles bring out the facial structure but, it can also highlight defects. Comments?
I would try a white reflector from below to fill them in. Also the light source doesn't necessarily have to be at a very high angle, just high enough to start sculpting.

I would try a white reflector from below to fill them in.

When Mark Twain said "Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles had been", he obviously had never dealt with them as a photographer. Being in the "seniors" category I find myself dealing with it frequently in family and friends. Men don't seem to have quite the problems with it that women do.

Maybe I need a more realistic mannequin, one with wrinkles so I can study the effect of the light.

Most reactions

Back