Portrait Critique

johnstock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I'm wondering about the white balance on these photos. Which is correct? The first is the wb sooc, the second has been modified to the "correct" setting in DPP.

Thanks for the help,

John

Last edited:
Just a quick heads up. Not alot of people on this forum, aka. Nobody in this forum will click links, very few people here will click your links. check the code when you post your next thread.

Welcome to TPF.

Just a quick heads up. Not alot of people on this forum, aka. Nobody in this forum will click links, very few people here will click your links. check the code when you post your next thread.

Welcome to TPF.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip :D I fixed the post.

I prefer the first one.. although both could be desaturated slightly to improve the skin tones.

I think the second one is closer to accurate. The first has a very warm feel too it. The second is a lot cooler which might be a bit off but I think its closer to natural.

I prefer the first version. Warmer tones generally are more pleasing to the eye, and I subscribe to that as the first just seems more enjoyable to look at to me.

Sometimes you can just throw the idea of a perfect white balance out the window.

I think it's all a matter of personal taste. I prefer the second one because his face isn't so red, so it looks more natural.

Hope this helps.

Given the colour of the sky in the background, indicating that this was taken in the glow of some evening sunshine, the first represents the general atmosphere better than the cooler second version, I think. While the second may be more correct with regards to normal-light skin tones, it doesn't go so well with the overall atmosphere. People's faces simply do reflect some of the evening light when THAT particular light is out there. Hence I prefer the warmer touch of the SOOC photo.

Most reactions

Back