portrait lens for 300D and 20D

Skyeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
iv used nikon for a long time, and now that im using canon i need to start buying new lenses. what do you consider to be the best lens to use for portraits on a 20D?

dont you think 136mm is a little too long?

Skyeg said:
dont you think 136mm is a little too long?

well, i suppose that depends on how far away your standing :)

i think that is just about as good a portrait lens their is, personally i wouldnt choose a 50mm just because your currently using a 1.6 crop factor camera... your lens will out last your camera bigtime.

its a fantastic lens and 85mm is just about perfect, wether its perfect on a 20d for you.... well thats why i put a question mark :)

If you want a dual purpose lens look at the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro or the less expensive Sigma 105mm f/2.8. The Sigma is a little slower and wil hunt around more often, but it's image quality is fantastic. The Canon has a USM on it and is so quiet that when I first got mine I thought it was broken because I couldn't hear it.

Also the price difference between the 85mm and 100mm is about $1000.00 US

©AnderGraph said:
canon 85mm L1.2 prime?
...or its economical sibling; 85mm 1.8.

Edit: Ever considered a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4? Check those out.

©AnderGraph said:
only reason i didnt suggest the thrifty fifty is because he said BEST portrait lens. no doubt the 50MKII is good for the price, not the best thats for sure

i own one though :)

Id say its the best, you could pay more for a lens thats longer with smaller aparature...but why waste money?

:D

as for BEST portrait lens, i'd have to agree with andergraph - 85 1.2L or 135 f2L. the 85 1.8 is probably my choice though, it's sharper than the 50 1.8 wide open and the extra length is better for portraits IMO. plus it's quite a bit cheaper than either of the L's and is practically L quality.

i personaly hate the 50 1.8 II, i cant stand using it, its not even that sharp (my tokina zoom lens is just as sharp). i decided on the 85 1.2L or the 1.8 im going to go check them out in a store and decide if its worth the extra money for the 1.2, i dont need the extra stop as i dont plan on using this in low light, but i guess you never know. thanks everyone

if you're not going to plan on using the 1.2, definitely go with the 1.8. it's like 4.5 times cheaper. the 1.8 lens is a GREAT lens, anyway. I'll actually probably end up buying that when i get my camera.

i didnt like the nikon 1.8 all that much, it was ok for the money, but all of the ones i used were soft wide open so i got the 1.4 back when i used nikon.

Most reactions

Back