Portrait Of A Photographer

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My housemate AJ is moving out today, so yesterday I asked if he would let me take a portrait of him. We live in a housing setup that's similar to fraternity housing, so our house kind of feels like a family. We have to get used to people moving in and out somewhat frequently, but it's always sad when someone moves out. It's also inspiring to see them find success in their work, which is why AJ is moving out.

Shot on a Canon 5D, with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens attached set to f/2.8, 1/125th sec, ISO 1000.
_MG_5268.jpg

As always, great stuff. Curious about your choice of ISO 1000 rather than adjusting the light to be brighter? Was this not an option or did you do it to allow for a softer light? Non-natrual lighting is definitely my biggest need for improvement. If I had taken this shot, in a studio setting, my ISO would never leave 64-100.

As always, great stuff. Curious about your choice of ISO 1000 rather than adjusting the light to be brighter? Was this not an option or did you do it to allow for a softer light? Non-natrual lighting is definitely my biggest need for improvement. If I had taken this shot, in a studio setting, my ISO would never leave 64-100.
These were lit using constant light sources, so my settings were based on making sure I could work within a useable shutter speed while also getting the exposures I wanted from each light source.

As someone who used to limit himself to ISO 100 only, you need to stop doing that. You're only limiting your creativity by giving yourself ISO limitations.

These were lit using constant light sources, so my settings were based on making sure I could work within a useable shutter speed while also getting the exposures I wanted from each light source.

As someone who used to limit himself to ISO 100 only, you need to stop doing that. You're only limiting your creativity by giving yourself ISO limitations.

I only limit it to 100 in a studio setting since I am not that experienced in a controlled environment. When I have the ability to adjust my lights to be darker or brighter it would have never crossed my mind to increase the shutter. It sounds like in your situation you could only increase the brightness so much which makes your ISO increase make sense to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back