Portrait of a stranger.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was at the Portland Gay Pride festival last June. Originally I wasn't planning on even going to Pride that year because it was a week after the shooting at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, and I was paranoid that something awful would happen during the festival. Instead I decided I was going to go anyways and march in the parade. I almost always leave my camera at home, but I decided I would bring it with me a take portraits of strangers. This is my favorite portrait from the day. He goes by the name "Cash", and writes poems.

The black and white processing was loosely inspired by the look of tinytpe photos.
_mg_5321_1_by_danostergren-da752cb.jpg

I like the sharpness. Not a fan of the crop, but otherwise, nice shot.

Like it! IMHO - I would have liked it better if there was a bit of room at the top.

I like the sharpness. Not a fan of the crop, but otherwise, nice shot.

Like it! IMHO - I would have liked it better if there was a bit of room at the top.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree it could look good with a looser crop, but honestly I feel that the tight crop looks good as well and has a nice compositional harmony. It brings the focus right into his eyes for me, considering that his tattoos and the contrast in the background still pull some focus.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree it could look good with a looser crop, but honestly I feel that the tight crop looks good as well and has a nice compositional harmony. It brings the focus right into his eyes for me, considering that his tattoos and the contrast in the background still pull some focus.

I agree. It looks good as is. I think it's my personal preference that I like space above a person's head most times. When I go for tighter frame, I tend to, not all the time, but I tend to frame slightly below the top hair.

The tight crop gives it a more personal feel. I really like it, great work! :)

Thank you. I agree, with such an emotive expression in his eyes, I think it calls for a tight crop like this.

Thank you. I agree, with such an emotive expression in his eyes, I think it calls for a tight crop like this.

I agree that the tight crop highlights his eyes and creates an intimacy that is often absent from portraiture (but, imho, should be there more often - otherwise, what's the point? Well, that's the point for me, anyway :) ) In fact, this crop offers a level of intimacy that is uncomfortable and tense, and that challenges the viewers to decide if we will turn away or if we will challenge ourselves to keep looking.

I agree that the tight crop highlights his eyes and creates an intimacy that is often absent from portraiture (but, imho, should be there more often - otherwise, what's the point? Well, that's the point for me, anyway :) ) In fact, this crop offers a level of intimacy that is uncomfortable and tense, and that challenges the viewers to decide if we will turn away or if we will challenge ourselves to keep looking.
Thank you, I feel the same way.

I just feel like just a centimeter higher would help me and others feel better about it. Since you're just barely cutting off some of his hair. But it's up to you.

I just feel like just a centimeter higher would help me and others feel better about it. Since you're just barely cutting off some of his hair. But it's up to you.
Thank for sharing your opinion. I like what Limr and Fitbmx had to say about it and I tend to agree with them.

You (and Leonore) just helped me put a finger on something that I had noticed in your photography, but wasn't sure why some of your images made me uncomfortable. And it is that you put us really close to your subject(s), inside their personal space, (the intimacy that Leonore mentions) and by extension inside mine. If you had left some more space above his head, I'd feel less close. Now that I'm aware of it, it's a neat trick of perception. I'm going to have to try it myself to see if I get some aspect of that effect. Learning moment.

Can I ask about your lighting here? Since it's an event, I assume it's natural, but it's so soft and directional...are you using a diffuser, or maybe the sun is bouncing off a building?

You (and Leonore) just helped me put a finger on something that I had noticed in your photography, but wasn't sure why some of your images made me uncomfortable. And it is that you put us really close to your subject(s), inside their personal space, (the intimacy that Leonore mentions) and by extension inside mine. If you had left some more space above his head, I'd feel less close. Now that I'm aware of it, it's a neat trick of perception. I'm going to have to try it myself to see if I get some aspect of that effect. Learning moment.
That intimacy and closeness is important to me, because I feel that it creates a very strong connection for the viewer. I may sound stubborn when rejecting other's critique when it comes to that, but the closeness is very intentional on shots like this.

Most reactions

Back