Portrait of my Parents

Alexandtheng

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
C&C welcome!:)

mum%20n%20dad-3-L.jpg

Your mother looks great! You even got your father looking good (we men are often such difficult subjects). Your mother looks far too young to have a son old enough to use a camera so well. ;)

I realize I'm a newbie and everything so take this as a question and not a critique.

Is it just me or does anyone think that the black background is bad for people with black hair? Makes the hair hard to see I think.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Lighting looks good, composition looks good. Faces look good!

Good job! lovely parents

Background light and/or hair light was really needed here. The images are very nicely done, but photographing dark-hair subjects against a dark background really requires a light, whether on the hair or the background to prevent them from blending together.

I realize I'm a newbie and everything so take this as a question and not a critique.

Is it just me or does anyone think that the black background is bad for people with black hair? Makes the hair hard to see I think.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Good call there newbie! :D

I love the portraits, very nice, yes a hair light for separation is needed but otherwise well done! Treat the parents well :)

thanks for the comments guys!:) appreciate the advice! however i currently only have 2 strobes, set up like this

octabox is the main and the smaller box i use as a filler. any advice for throwing some light on the hair aside from getting a third strobe (psychology student who's not got a lot of spare cash to throw around here:)).

Find a market for your photos. With the quality of work I've seen from you should be able to finance some new kit. I use Neewer strobes, they didn't cost the earth but they've lasted me about 18 months so far without any problems.

Just a little suggestion. Maybe you could use a reflector for/in-place-of the 2nd light. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, probably a white sheet would work. White Styrofoam board, is also pretty cheap.

Then you could use the smaller strobe as a hair light.

Those are beautiful portrait shots! I have shutter-envy. I too wouldn't have noticed the hair-blending if it hadn't been pointed out. That's what I love about this site.......... the accumulated knowledge that's available!

Take your fill, raise it up, and angle it down; there's no reason you can't make it do double-duty!

The only thing I notice I would change are the cropping of the hands in the second photo. You have a gorgeous mom. Nice photos, keep up the great work.

Find a market for your photos. With the quality of work I've seen from you should be able to finance some new kit. I use Neewer strobes, they didn't cost the earth but they've lasted me about 18 months so far without any problems.

thanks! have been trying, not much luck so far!

Just a little suggestion. Maybe you could use a reflector for/in-place-of the 2nd light. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, probably a white sheet would work. White Styrofoam board, is also pretty cheap.

Then you could use the smaller strobe as a hair light.

i have a reflector, didn't think of using it actually. thanks for the suggestion!!

The only thing I notice I would change are the cropping of the hands in the second photo. You have a gorgeous mom. Nice photos, keep up the great work.

thanks!!

Take your fill, raise it up, and angle it down; there's no reason you can't make it do double-duty!

HAHAHA so simple! thanks for the hint, will give it a shot next time!

Those are beautiful portrait shots! I have shutter-envy. I too wouldn't have noticed the hair-blending if it hadn't been pointed out. That's what I love about this site.......... the accumulated knowledge that's available!

thanks!!:)

I looked at the way the photos were BEFORE the edits made the background look black; the deep,dark,rich almost-green background had plenty of separation between their hair and the backdrop. The lighting looked GOOD, and their hair was lighted nicely. The post work you did to darken the background and hide the wrinkles didn't help, it hurt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back