Portrait photography question(s)

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just did a photo shoot today with a friend, and since I'm looking into getting better with portraits and expecting gigs even though people would still call me "amateur" so I had questions.

1) would you use the model release apps on your phone? Or print one out? I have releases from snap wire app, but I have no idea how legit that would be in case of any issues.

2) The sun was blazing today so I noticed I either had to expose for my model or underexpose to get an overall scene. So are polarizers the go too? Reason I'm not sure, does it affect the exposure on the model? My friend said they help for black and white contrast but what about color?

Bottom line I was hoping for an overcast, but I wasn't just going to call it a day.

And 3) Is learning how to communicate poses with your model something one gets better at, or something people are usually good at from the start? That's more of an opinionated question I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Don't know about 1 & 3.

But your second question I can try to help. I honestly never heard of anyone using a polarizer when shooting portraits. If that's a thing, then it's new to me! They are typically used to remove reflections, mostly for landscape photography.

In my opinion, you'll always want to expose for your subject's face, that's the most important part. If the background is blown out, then so be it. But if you shoot raw, you may be able to bring some of it back.

While overcast days are the best and biggest softbox around, you can't always depend on it being an overcast day and that's when your flash, strobes, softboxes, reflectors or AKA light modifiers come in handy! You could EASILY get a nice round or triangle reflector and exposure more for the background (but not too much) and use a reflector to bounce some of sunlight back into your subject's face.

You can buy a speedlight and expose for the background and pop the flash to provide fill light to balance out the scene, you can add light modifiers to the speedlight itself to soften the light so it's not harsh.

I may possibly be entirely wrong as I'm not a portrait photographer but I understand a little tiny bit about lighting I've learned over the years on my own. Hope this helps and someone with a better understanding will further help!

We have always used signed contracts paper for everything.

Nothing wrong with a polarizer for model shot outside. Can bring out nice dark blue sky and the clouds. I am wondering though if your thinking of neutral density filters. Reduces light going in the camera when it's too bright.

Depends on you AND your model for communication.

1. Printed & signed in ink. While it's VERY unlikely it would ever come up, I'm willing to bet that paper will hold a lot more sway with a judge than introducing your 'phone as "Exhibit one".

2. A good polarize (B+W, Lee, Singh-Ray) won't affect colours (negatively), but it's not the answer. Bringing in strobes and lighting the scene properly is the answer.

3. it takes practice, but it helps if you're an outgoing person to begin with. Spend some time at YouTube U. there are LOTS of tutorials on how to improve, and it's something that the importance of cannot be overstated.

And thanks nerwin and benhasajeep (don't know how to tag) I forgot all about speed lights and the tools a portrait photographer needs but right now I think just a polarizer is in my price range and maybe also a reflector. I'm saving up for a 85mm on my A72 body. As for neutral density filters I don't need to much light getting blocked. I figured polarizers have about a two stop advantage.

Hopefully I edit some photos soon so I can get some critique.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Just use "@" before a you tag a username. The same way you do on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and probably many other websites.

@Pedro_lopez - See!

A reflector for outdoor shots can make a HUGE difference. Really, a HUGE difference! And the thing is, the reflector is WYSIWYG, and can work with whatevcer light there is on-scene, and can work with that light at all shutter speeds,with no flash synchronization issues, and so on. And, I think for many situations, reflector-fill light looks more-natural and well, more-pleasing, than flash fill lighting.

RE, your question, "
Is learning how to communicate poses with your model something one gets better at, or something people are usually good at from the start? "

YES--one can get better at this! I've mentioned how to do this many times here, over the past few years, Knd of tired tonight, not in the mood to write this out, but it's a pre-shoot and during-shoot communicaton issue. One CAN build this skill!

Nice! I'm going to get a Polarizer for my lens and test it out.
about the model release...*sigh* the United States is run (ruined) by Lawyers.

I see no big problem in exposure 'cause if you have any version of Photoshop you can correct it easily. At least so do I and my friends. You also can correct lights and shadows. If you need some advices about it feel free to write me a pm I'll gladly help you with using it.

About poses. You can use art. Just google art with for example epic battle poses and then try to recreate it with your model. My models are animals so it's a bit hard to explain, sorry ^^' But it's all about seeing references. You also can google something like "sketches" and "tutorials". It's all about art but photography is a part of art and so you can use it too. But always try to make it more natural, not robotic. It's harder with emotions but you can ask your model to think about something with will cause the expression you need.

Most reactions

Back