Portrait Pictures of My Son

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We went around today to get some pictures of him and his guitar. He just started lessons this past Saturday so he is real excited. Let me know what you think.

_DSC0604_edited-3.jpg

_DSC0543.jpg

_DSC0593.jpg

_DSC0507_edited-5.jpg

_DSC0507_edited-4.jpg

Thanks. #1 is also my favorite. It will be going on the wall.

Good composition on all of them, BW really adds to the flavor of each.
#1 is by far the better one but I'd stop down the lens by a 1-1.5 stop to have the kid more in the image. Too shallow dof really isolates him, at which point viewer asks "What is the subject matter of this image?" For me, I see a kid in trance like state playing guitar and enjoying it, however I'd prefer to see more of the kid.

Keep shooting and improving

As far as portraiture is concerned #3 is the quintessential example. Great composition, gives the attitude of your son perfectly, and best of all he is in focus :p In my opinion it is in bad taste to take a portrait out of focus since your subject is in fact their face. Sometimes that rule can be broken but you really need to break it right.

As far as the other ones, I'd say they are less portraiture and more personality shots. Not to be a stickler but the definition of portrait is a picture, painting, etc, displaying predominantly the face and it's expression.

The only problem with #3 is that it is just a hair soft focused. Otherwise excellent shot!

why is he playing an electric guitar outside? :greenpbl:
sorry those kinds of things bother me :hug::

other than that the pictures look great!
number 3 is awesome

As far as portraiture is concerned #3 is the quintessential example. Great composition, gives the attitude of your son perfectly, and best of all he is in focus :p In my opinion it is in bad taste to take a portrait out of focus since your subject is in fact their face. Sometimes that rule can be broken but you really need to break it right.

As far as the other ones, I'd say they are less portraiture and more personality shots. Not to be a stickler but the definition of portrait is a picture, painting, etc, displaying predominantly the face and it's expression.

The only problem with #3 is that it is just a hair soft focused. Otherwise excellent shot!

I guess I should have stopped down a little to get more of the hair in focus? I don't understand why the hair was soft and the rest was focused. Did I need more light on the hair?

why is he playing an electric guitar outside? :greenpbl:
sorry those kinds of things bother me :hug::

other than that the pictures look great!
number 3 is awesome

HA! I didn't even think of that. He loves the electric. Thanks for the compliment.

#3 is WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!

Thanks!

It isn't as bad as I thought it was at first, his hair is soft but I thought his eyes were as well. They are sharp enough however, so spot on!

I find myself having a hard time getting a good sharp focus on the eyes. Is it me or my lens? I was using the 50/1.8 at 2.8. When I focus, I always make sure the "red square that lights up" is focused on his face. What could I do to improve this?

To sharpen it up a bit, make sure you're focusing on the pupil of the eye or the bridge of the nose. Also I did notice the 2.8 aperture, this creates a paper thin depth of field, so if you consistently have focus problems I would suggest going up a little more.

One last problem is the 50mm 1/8 is known for having a spot around 2/8 to be the sharpest. Sometimes it isn't 2/8 but stopped down a bit more.

Try shooting on a tripod with locked focus and find your sharpest point with a wide aperture, that may help out for later shoots!

To sharpen it up a bit, make sure you're focusing on the pupil of the eye or the bridge of the nose. Also I did notice the 2.8 aperture, this creates a paper thin depth of field, so if you consistently have focus problems I would suggest going up a little more.

One last problem is the 50mm 1/8 is known for having a spot around 2/8 to be the sharpest. Sometimes it isn't 2/8 but stopped down a bit more.

Try shooting on a tripod with locked focus and find your sharpest point with a wide aperture, that may help out for later shoots!

I ill give that a try. I am also considering looking into a mid-range 2.8 lens by Sigma maybe.

#3 is my fav!

Looks like that is the general consensus. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back