portrait shoot C&C

CameronDelray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my 2nd Portrait photoshoot.
I promise this time I won't take the C&C to heart, but use it to better myself.
So C&C please, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

1.)
2940630927_fc8f743b64_o.jpg

2.)
2940630933_cbf7abe843_o.jpg

3.)
2940630911_6194635ea8_o.jpg

4.)
2940630921_b670f92b37_o.jpg

Don't have time for full C&C right now, but I like this set a lot! Gorgeous model, nice colors and skies. I'll try to be more thorough later.

what he said^..very nice..

You nailed it !
Like the first's perspective,and the fourth pose,but would have got that lamp in back out-just an uneducated opinion.

Looking a lot better.
C&C is just my opinion and is as follows:

In #1 i think you did a good job with the pose and all but i have to bring up the background. Just take a minute or two in photoshop and remove the car and the person from the background just to clean it up a bit. Or use a larger f/ to throw the background further OOF

#2 - pose does not work for me at all. Also again, i think the DOF is too deep. Your eye is lead to the brightest spot on the photo, which is her shirt in this case because its blown out. From there i go straight to the gazebo and lose interest in the model. And again, the pose isnt all that flattering to begin with. When you hide people's legs, completely from the camera you can make them look like a paraplegic. You have givin the the look that your model has no legs at all because there is no trace of them in this photo at all.

#3 is a good pose, but once again id like to see a bit less DOF. My eye keeps traveling to all the the things the background beholds and away from your model. Since our eyes naturally follow lines, i go to your models face, and then down the path leading away from your model. Always look for lines to lead into the model, not away from her.

#4 Decent pose, you should have tweaked it a bit (have her sit up straight etc..) Again with the background though, i would have tried a bit less DOF...

I just looked at your equipment, the fact you lens is only a f/5.6 when zoomed out may be the cause of such large DOF... Look into the nikon 50mm 1.8... excellent lens for a great great price (100)

Thanks everyone for the C&C.

Hmm, I'll definitely look into the 50mm 1.8 lens, as I am a fan of small DOF in portraits also. I am also going to go in and take the car and person walking out. I didn't really notice them at first glance, so thanks for pointing those out for me!

Also, I was very proud of myself because of the exposures.
I think there was only one photo out of the bunch that I had to drastically fix the exposure, and it was a VERYYY bright day. Very windy also! It was a lot of fun. Between my hair flying everywhere in my eyes to block my view, and her hair blowing all in her face, we managed to team up and defeat the horrible gusts! :D

awesome set. my favorites are #1 and #3.

the pose in #2 seems ackward and kinda forced and #4 doesnt seem like she was very comfortable (in her face).

but awesome exposure and everything else. technically very nice.

Nice job Cameron. I you've got a killer model there and some awesome skies. Great exposure and really nice sharpness. I only have a minor suggestion but one that makes a big difference. If you're using photoshop, you can try adding a little surface blur to enhance your model's skin. I know, I know. Many people are against retouching but its puts a nice little spin on things that help portraits in my opinion.

i like #3, the rule of thirds coming into effect! Vast improvement in location!!

Some nice work there bud,.. and some good crits as well. I have got a jones on for a nifty 50 too! -Shea

Thanks guys.

Hmm. I did a little gaussian blue only on her face, and blended it in, but I'll try the surface blur and see how that looks. Thanks for the suggestion! :]

knew you had potenial dude.. keep em coming :thumbup:

If i had to chose i'd say the 1st .

Thanks guys.

Hmm. I did a little gaussian blue only on her face, and blended it in, but I'll try the surface blur and see how that looks. Thanks for the suggestion! :]

Seriously, if you like taking portraits, surface blur might become your best friend. Just give it a little 2-4 blur and adjust the threshold so that you can keep the eyes and lips from getting blurred and you're good to go.

Thanks Shed.

Awesome, I'll give it a try, Maulrat, thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back