What's new

Portrait shooter. Need equiptment suggestions

ACRPhotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to get into the portrait aspect of photography, and my birthday is coming up soon, and I would like to make a list of things I would like. So I thought, why not get photography equipment!


I shoot with a Sony Alpha A230. For those of you who do shoot portrait, can you suggest equipment that I should definitely look into?

Lenses, flashes, etc. I would really appreciate it!
 
I 2nd Mike's recommendation... those Lumopro 160's are workhorses.
 
I think the Lumopro LP 160's are over-priced for what they do (the kit includes just 1 flash unit), and that 7 feet is to short for a light stand.

I don't recommend that kit.
 
7 feet is too short? i used 7 feet light stand quite alot and they are not to short. what do you use in a house? 12 feet light stands?
 
7 feet is too short? i used 7 feet light stand quite alot and they are not to short. what do you use in a house? 12 feet light stands?

I use 9' generally. Sometimes the subject isn't always at ground level or you need a flash to be more than slightly higher than their face. It's always better to have it and not need it rather than to need it and have to get some way to raise your light stand up because it's not tall enough.
 
7 feet is too short? i used 7 feet light stand quite alot and they are not to short. what do you use in a house? 12 feet light stands?

Yes, because as with tripods, you never want to use them to their full extent. My 12' stands rarely go above 9 - 10' and at that height, they're rock-solid. At its full extension, any stand is going to be shakey.
 
sony makes an 85mm f/2.8 for under $200, that would be a good lens for portraiture.



Otherwise, i'd say get a cheap Nikon like an N75, some Fuji 400h, overexpose a stop on the shadows and look like jose villa :p
 
Sony a900 with:

• sony/zeiss 85mm 1.4
• sony 50mm 1.4
 
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom