portrait with a view C&C

elementguy13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4253034982_9e831ba4b9_b.jpg

I got this shot of my friend today while in this local town Bethlehem.

What do you guys thinks? C&C Thanks :D

Even though your friend is in focus, the background is still really distracting. Most portraits draw attention to the person in the image, but I just found myself staring at the background instead.

I like it. A little more light on your friend might have made it better.
I think if you lighten it up and just let the sky go it will be a very nice shot.

I liked even with that backround.
It tells a story.
He looks lonely and cold, yet behind him there is a rush of humanity.

I guess it is all on how you look at it!
Well done IMO.

i disagree with the background being distracting. not every portrait has to be done on a blank BG. i think the BG helps to tell a story, and give some perspective. i also think that B&W really suits this image.
comp is great, exposure is great, focus is great.
you have here a great image. ;)

well done.

I didn't find the background distracting at all, mainly cause the subject is so cute. lol! But, great shot! Love the simplicity, and the B&W adds what seems a whole other dimension to the shot. Great job!

well thanks a lot guys for the feedback! i feel like sometimes i am my biggest critic. i also feel the background adds a lot to the photo. its not just some wall or another obsolete thing its a thriving city and yet the subject gives a sense of isolation. but its still my photograph so i always look at it and go ehhh. i bet its the same for you guys! :p

I think this is a really strong shot. Good idea, well composed. IMO, it would have more impact if his face had been as sharp as his hands appear. His hands, knuckles, front of his coat seem sharp and strong while his face, altho dramatically lit, is really very soft and smudgy as if it were rescued from deep shadow or had some motion blur.

Sorry it does not say anything to me, except he is floating above a freeway i need to see what he is sitting on, i would have like it better if he was close to the freeway with car flying past blurred, shot on a slow shutter speed with fill flash

For those of you who are relatively new to photography, I suggest that you try and understand why pictures appeal to you and why they may not be completely successful.
This is the best exercise to getting better at your own photography.
I wrote a small essay on this for another site and have posted it here.

Lew

Also the sky is to blown around his head, next time expose for the sky and pop a bit of fill flash, the pop up is quite good for fill flash if you adjust it

I think it is a great picture I started to think up a story to go with it right away.. I don't mind the background at all I look at it first because of the tag on the post.

I really like it! And i thought the background added to it not realy distracting for me... nice!

Most reactions

Back