Portrait without flash

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's another of my attempts to take portrait pictures of people (some might remember the one I took of my father-in-law at Christmas?), which I increasingly much prefer to take without the use of a flash, since the only flash I've got is the on-camera one and the results WITH that flash on seldom make me happy.

My "model" often is my daughter, and it is her in this one.
Keep in mind that a) it is a scan from print, b) it was taken on a C41 b+w film (very little contrasts, and the photos came home positively green, I had to "convert" them to black and white!), and c) that I have no light equipment at all! (I wish I could get eyes as clear as Tammy did of her son, but...):

SWPortraitJan2005.jpg

What do you say?
Better film? (I agree)
Scan the negatives? (I agree)
Buy yourself a digital camera? (I did! :D)
Change your model? (NEVER! :D)

Very deep beautiful eyes!
I think she should smile! Also, it's my thought that you should always let the model's hair out(instead of it being pulled back)
I like the B&W and the background isn't overpowering, I agree that you shouldn't use the flash. But I think you should probably get a lamp or something to set by your camera when you take the picture.(always works for me)
She's very beautiful! I hope to see more photos of her! Keep it up!:D

The difficult thing with portrait, and why I never have much luck is, it is tough to capture a mood or personality. You seem to have done that well. Thats the hard part done, I think there is so much talent here to help with the lighting. Good shot!

Thank you to the three of you who have taken the time to respond.
I've seen this photo displayed on a good screen, as opposed to the one I'm having here at home, and find the obvious scan marks horrible... but that's how I can present this picture to you...

Her eyes takes over the whole photo, for some reason I have a hard time taking my attention away from them to look at the rest of the photo, I really like that.

sillyphaunt said:
I think she looks a lot like you. :)

No, Kylie, I think she looks much more like her dad. At least everyone says so. Or rather: many claim that she's very much like her grandmother on her father's side.

Thank you, you new three who replied, for your replies, by the way.

I agree with the majority here, amazing eyes! I really like your portraits, your style has changed a lot on the past few months (natural lighting, different composition, etc) and it's fun to watch the progression!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back