What's new

Portraits +1

photog4life

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 26, 2011
Messages
262
Reaction score
28
Location
stl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$PietroDUNK.webp$Pietro2DUNK.webp These two are pictures I took for my photoj class. I got a 95 on them. I lost points on my cutlines not the actual pictures lol .
So obviously my teacher is very easy on my pictures, so I would like some other people to critique them.
This other picture was something that I took because I recently got a tripod and was messing with it but people seem to really like it.
$Bridge1-2-14.webpI don't. And people keep telling me I'm too hard on my self. So again I need a second opinion.
 
The only one I find interesting is the 2nd picture and the focus is off. The other two are just snap shots. Even the first but, I had to choose one that was better than the others. I think your teacher is being pretty nice in that grade. Whats up the DVNT BMX, is that your water mark I only ask because I see it on the snow picture as well.
 
I like first picture better, the one where the lad is holding his bike upright, better than the second one.
The second seems like he's bored whereas in the fist picture he seems excited and loving what he does!
As for the last picture, of the bridge, I'm not very fond of it.
It's cropped weird, and I wish you could have shown more of the bridge instead of the trees.
It would have been a great leading lines and composition!
 
I'd really like to see some of the riding action. Looks like a great place to practice shooting. Keep shooting and having fun.
 
The shot through the wheel has the most narrative potential to me and the composition is interesting, different, and creative. Technically, it could be better, but it is still my pick of the three.
 
The shot through the wheel has the most narrative potential to me and the composition is interesting, different, and creative. Technically, it could be better, but it is still my pick of the three.

What's wrong with this picture, besides the missed focus, is that you haven't thought through the composition and the post-processing.
There are distracting bright areas all over, that pull the viewer's eyes from the face.
The bicycle wheel and parts are just supporting elements so they should't distract.
The rider's face is somber and thoughtful, the colors are gay and happy - there is this total disconnect.



cs5e.jpg
 
The shot through the wheel has the most narrative potential to me and the composition is interesting, different, and creative. Technically, it could be better, but it is still my pick of the three.

YES, most definitely, what jenko said. The first has a distracting background which leads AWAY from the subject; the second is actually a VERY good idea, executed moderately well. The third is an interesting way to approach the fence, as well as the vanishing point, and as such is kind of a good learning tool shot, but a bit dull, a bit of a "textbook example"
 
Op here. For some reason It wont let me respond on my other account? Thanks for the responses. I definitely understand about the colors. I never thought about it like that? For the first pic would it have been better if I cropped over more? EX.$PietroDUNK.webp (quick crop didn't even fix the watermark.)

Technically speaking what could I have done better on all three of them? other than focus on the 2nd one. (I can't even tell that I missed focus? I'm guessing focus was on hands so the face was just slightly out of focus? )
Also the first guy mentioned that other than the one through the wheel they were just snapshots? what does that mean? How can I change that?


The watermark is mine yes(clothing company) and I dont have any shots of actual riding because they weren't really any good and I didn't have much time so I focused on portrait not not riding.
 
well mainly stuff that has already been mentioned:

in the first one, the background is busy and cluttered. It's not really relevant so it is a shame that it is so distracting. It would be much better if the background was out of focus.

I like the second one. I think it's that I appreciate its creativity.

and the last one. Well, people seem to love fence pictures. I'm not one of those people. I find it boring, but don't take it personal, I find just about everyone's fence pictures boring.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom