Portraits C&C (Beginner!)

SarahMaeH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! :) Just a few shots I've taken and wanted some C&C.
img4053v.jpg

img3496o.jpg

img5760l.jpg

img6662l.jpg

Thank you all for taking the time to look! :]

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I like the idea of these portraits... However, I feel that all of these are a bit overexposed (too bright).

This can be corrected somewhat in post processing... It is, Mind you, a better idea to get the exposure correct right out of the camera, if possible...

Keep shooting. :)

Last edited:
1,2,and 4 are pretty good. The third shot just doesn't resonate with me at all. This backlighted, lens flare type of look is very hot right now...I am seeing it all the time on fashion and personality profile photos of music and entertainment stars like Rihanna,etc.
Your subjects are all attractive young women, for whom this type of look seems to coordinate pretty well.

I like the poses for the most part but the color is off. If it's deliberate, well, stop.

I like the poses for the most part but the color is off. If it's deliberate, well, stop.

I actually like the colour. I mean, it's not completely OUT there so much that it looks ugly. It just enhances the pictures to give them to feel to suit to the photographer's style of photography.

I actually like the colour. I mean, it's not completely OUT there so much that it looks ugly. It just enhances the pictures to give them to feel to suit to the photographer's style of photography.

Here is a link to a short gallery showing how this style of post work can look.

Warning: potentially NSFW/lingerie type photos. No nudity, but, you know, not the kind of stuff you want to open up at your work station...

alessandra-ambrosio-vs-02alessandraVictCatag by Tomatespodres

It would be nice if you had a really crummy, dust-filled old lens that had a nice, very round, multi-blade diaphragm, like an old, single-coated M42 thread mount lens with a pre-set diaphragm system, and maybe really slicked-up,almost polished diaphragm blades that had been worn smooth from years of use...shooting that kind of a lens right toward bright light sources will usually give veiling glare, which is what you are after: "veiling glare". Modern, multi-coated lenses actually work against this kind of effect.

I kinda like the retro 60's/70's polaroid type look. Takes me bad to another era.

Why does everyone think that some form of 'manipulation' makes a photograph better? It usually doesn't. Americans, especially, seem obsessed with the latest gimmicky approach or fad. We have been through the Tri-X in Rodinal fad (printed on Agfa Brovira #4, a sub-fad), the posterization on litho film fad, the zoom during exposure fad, the zone system fad, the sandwiched slides fad, the cross-processing fad, the Velvia fad, the grainy pushed B&W fad, the HDR fad, and now this...

Using some kind of manipulation is no substitute for plain hard work and sensitivity to the subject.

They r all pretty but they all need some work. I can understand the whole washed out look u were going for because I look at Elle magazine etc but u still need a little pop of color maybe in their eyes or something. The biggest issue I have though is how u have cut off their limbs and heads. U need to work on being more consciencious of elbows, wrists, legs etc. Almost all of the pics have the top of their heads cut off. # 2 u have cut the pic off at her wrist, # 3 her leg or knee or whatever that is comes our of nowhere, and the last pic her elbow is missing....as well as their heads. I would work on making sure that u r getting these things in the shot.

Petraio Prime said:
Why does everyone think that some form of 'manipulation' makes a photograph better? It usually doesn't. Americans, especially, seem obsessed with the latest gimmicky approach or fad. We have been through the Tri-X in Rodinal fad (printed on Agfa Brovira #4, a sub-fad), the posterization on litho film fad, the zoom during exposure fad, the zone system fad, the sandwiched slides fad, the cross-processing fad, the Velvia fad, the grainy pushed B&W fad, the HDR fad, and now this...

Using some kind of manipulation is no substitute for plain hard work and sensitivity to the subject.

Nice trolling pass PP!!! Yet another anti-American trolling effort! Woo-hoo!
What country are you playing for in the World Cup, Petraio??? Can you enlighten us as to the supremacy of European photographers? What dull,boring,neutral "look" ought people strive for?

Awaiting your reply with bated breath, I remain
forever in awe of your anti-American status,
Derrel

Most reactions

Back