Portraits for C&C

If you got the $$$, throw down on the big stuff. I got rid of my D60 after 2 months use (at a major loss of course), but I feel my photography has improved more now that I have a camera that can do more of what I want it to. You've got some serious equipment in your wish list so just pull the trigger on it. If you find your shots suck, at least you know it's you, not the camera :).

And yes, the D300's on-camera flash can act as commander to fire any CLS compatible Nikon flash.

Will do. I also need to upgrade my MacBook to a MacBook Pro to keep up with all of the PP editing. So I'll probably wait a few weeks then knock those both out of the way, then get to work on the rest of my signature over the following few months. My goal is to have it all by November/December (Bday/Xmas).

Thanks for your help

i really like the new crops. they look great!

Thanks! It helps that I have a beautiful subject :)

Also, I have been trying to find a good book on portrait photography. I have read Scott Kelby's books (volumes 1 and 2) and have #3 on pre-order. I am currently reading Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure" and although they both touch on portrait tips, I'd like to read one specifically for portraits especially lighting, posing, etc. I don't generally trust Amazon reviews, so does anyone here have a personal preference? Thanks!

I think I did pretty good for my first attempt, but I still have a LONG way to go.

Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries is a pretty good book I'm reading right now. I've read The Moment It Clicks which was his previous book and it was also pretty good. The biggest things that have helped my understanding of lighting have been the strobist blog (strobist.com), The Strobist Seminar DVD, and I'm currently watching Zack Arias One Light DVD. I'd recommend both DVD's if you can find them for cheap (check your local Craigslist, where I found mine). I have one of Kelby's photoshop book and it was very good but a lot of the info I wanted wasn't included. Anyways, hit up your library and see what they have on the shelves.

Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries is a pretty good book I'm reading right now. I've read The Moment It Clicks which was his previous book and it was also pretty good. The biggest things that have helped my understanding of lighting have been the strobist blog (strobist.com), The Strobist Seminar DVD, and I'm currently watching Zack Arias One Light DVD. I'd recommend both DVD's if you can find them for cheap (check your local Craigslist, where I found mine). I have one of Kelby's photoshop book and it was very good but a lot of the info I wanted wasn't included. Anyways, hit up your library and see what they have on the shelves.

Thanks, I'll try to find that. The Moment it Clicks was mostly pictures when I flipped through it, so that's one I probably won't buy. I'll probably just read through it the next time I am at Barnes and Noble since it's such a quick read. No sense in spending the $40 or $50 they want for a picture book.

You'll need Commander Mode to go wirelesly out of the box with Nikons. The D300 does this.

The new crops are an improvement, bit as tirediron mention, be cognizant of your background. The crops can't improve them (#2 & 3). Another observation is that she appears uptight. The smile says one thing, but the body language tells another story. She's beautiful btw.

You'll need Commander Mode to go wirelesly out of the box with Nikons. The D300 does this.

The new crops are an improvement, bit as tirediron mention, be cognizant of your background. The crops can't improve them (#2 & 3). Another observation is that she appears uptight. The smile says one thing, but the body language tells another story. She's beautiful btw.

Thanks. I'm going to order my D300 either tonight or sometime in the next week so I'll be able to do that in the future. Should I also look into a light stand, umbrella, and other lighting equip? What about a 2nd flash?

For backgrounds, should I look for things less distracting than 2 and 3? #1 is with a lake in the background, whereas #2 and #3 have the trees/bushes. I thought they were fairly simple, but I'll try to get no tree's in the background next time.

Thanks!

Should I also look into a light stand, umbrella, and other lighting equip? What about a 2nd flash?

If you're going to use your flash off camera, yeah you will definitely want a light stand. Otherwise you'll be mounting your flash on that little foot it comes with and just placing it bare on random stuff, not ideal. Plus the umbrella gives you the ability to have softer lighting and is very good for portraits like the ones you shot. Check B&H when you order, but I would also check ebay (where I found 2 for $70).

Should I also look into a light stand, umbrella, and other lighting equip? What about a 2nd flash?

If you're going to use your flash off camera, yeah you will definitely want a light stand. Otherwise you'll be mounting your flash on that little foot it comes with and just placing it bare on random stuff, not ideal. Plus the umbrella gives you the ability to have softer lighting and is very good for portraits like the ones you shot. Check B&H when you order, but I would also check ebay (where I found 2 for $70).

I was looking at them on B&H so I could pick some up with the D300 but I am totally lost. What would be a good light stand to use for my SB-600 and which accessories should I also get? (Umbrellas, or anything else) thanks!

The Manfrotto lightstands I got are discontinued now. I like them because they compact nicely but they are only 6' tall. I would suggest no less than 8' tall lightstands in hindsight.

You can choose between shoot through or reflective umbrellas. I have on of each and I think I like the light from the reflective better...... silver underside.

You can also get a Super Clamp and/or ball bungee cords for additional flash mounting options.

The Manfrotto lightstands I got are discontinued now. I like them because they compact nicely but they are only 6' tall. I would suggest no less than 8' tall lightstands in hindsight.

You can choose between shoot through or reflective umbrellas. I have on of each and I think I like the light from the reflective better...... silver underside.

You can also get a Super Clamp and/or ball bungee cords for additional flash mounting options.

Thanks, I think I am going to wait so I have time to research the possibilities better and order the lighting equip later when I order some other small accessories like a grip for the D300.

What do you guys think of these two? (continuing the numbering from the first page)

#4.
20090620-DSC_0014.jpg

#5.
20090620-DSC_0008.jpg

Should #4 be brighter?

Most reactions

Back