Portraits of a Young Girl (C&C Please)

sab4279

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently just posted my first photo for critique and after receiving advice that helped improve the photo, I have gained more confidence in posting photos. I have learned that you all have a lot to offer in terms of advice and opinions and are at most times very respectful when critiquing. I have decided to post a few portraits for critique, they are of my friends daughter. Thank you in advance.

file-3.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

I think 1 & 3 are just lovely; 2 is 2 contrasty for my taste and loses the feeling of the others.
If you cropped them to 4 x 5, you could cur down on that annoying vignette.
I do think the background is a bit too bright and her face a bit too dark.

Last edited:
My opinion is things like #2 are about as kitschy as laser light backgrounds. You know, one of those things where a few years from now you'll be wondering "what was going through my head, that made me think this was a good idea?"

I really like 1 & 3. The expressions you captured are great! I think they could be better though in color or a different monochromatic shade. Perhaps if you just added some vignetting to #2 and removed the Sparkly Things it would work better. First time I have actually seen vignetting done well. :D

I love the first one! I wish it were in color though. Her skin is a little too grey in this bw conversion. Anyways... What is your lighting setup?

My opinion is things like #2 are about as kitschy as laser light backgrounds. You know, one of those things where a few years from now you'll be wondering "what was going through my head, that made me think this was a good idea?"

Dude--think back just a day or so to the H.L. Mencken quote I posted....kitsch sells...big-time!!! The background in use in this photo is the modern day equivalent of those nifty laser light backgrounds, which were the 1990's equivalent of those cool 1980's wrinkled muslin + red gel backdrops, which were, well, you get the idea. The child is cute though. The cute children-dressed-up-as-little-sunflowers motif Anne Geddes made famous always made me throw up in my mouth a little bit...this faerie dust and wand backdrop though--pure kitsch genius for the 2010's!!! The parents of this little girl are probably just a couple years older than you, but minus your art history background, so they probably think it's an awesome background. Sure, some day it WILL APPEAR "dated", but then...that's kind of what happens over time with kitsch as opposed to true art.

As far as C&C for the OP: the first and last photos are showing a standing child, but are framed horizontally, which makes no sense, compositionally. A vertical camera orientation would have helped these shots quite a bit.

They need to start issuing licenses to use vignetting. Do not love.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. I took some of your suggestions, let me know if the pictures have improved or if they still suck, please. Oh, and I added a new one as well.

1. Portrait layout instead of landscape. Added a somewhat different monochromatic tone as well.
file-2-1.jpg

2. Color Version on #1
file-3-1.jpg

3. I did not like the fairy dust much either, but the mom loved it. Cropped it a tiny, little bit tighter as well.
file-1-1.jpg

4. New Photo
file-4.jpg

I also like 1 and 3. Maybe in #1 you could have crop her a little more to the right side so there is more space for her looking that way but it was taken to close to do so I think. Great job!

Lovely shoot!

what was your lighting setup??

what was your lighting setup??

I don't have very many lights, but there was a strobe w/softbox about 45 degrees to the right. A Canon 430EXII w/a shoot through umbrella was to the left at 45 degrees as well. I had the speedlite at a fairly low setting so I could get shadows to create depth. As of right now, I am limited on space and cannot experiment much with lighting positions. Did I do okay with what I had?

Judging by what I see it looks like you only had two lights... one 45 degrees camera right, and one on the background. I was asking because I like the depth of your lighting, and the catchlights in her eyes. I wouldn't have guessed you had a light camera left. I know the "rules" are a main light camera right and a fill light close to the camera axis.. but I like the lighting setup you have... or at least these results. Personally I would have used more power on the light camera left.. because its a tad too much in shadow but again... i like this set!

Most reactions

Back