Something in between the subtle, shady softness of the original on the second photo and RobNZ's startled glassy-eyed deer in the headlights look (I'm kidding Rob,sort of!) is what I'd like to see. When the eyeballs start to look like the person not a real person but a Madame Tussaud's wax person, then I think the eyeball 'shopping has gone too far. The natural catchlights in this situation are spectacular--we can see them in the original shot, so when the face is lightened up even a little bit, it makes her eyes just Pop! In this situation, I think just a little bit brighter than the original would look perfect. You have a lovely child to work with. You did great with positioning the f/2.8 narrow band of DOF...you could also stop down another stop and bring in a little bit more hair into focus, and at that close range, still throw the backdrop wayyyyyy out of focus.