Posing Guide for a Female in the Army

What are you talking about? I'm a US Navy Veteran. I'm not talking ****, I'm being honest. There aren't "women" in the military. We're all the saaame gender.

I'll pass on the "Navy members are all the same gender" obvious joke. ;)

But, he's spot on. I'm in the Air Force, and we are all Airmen, or soldiers. There is no male or female. Posing a female soldier in a "feminine" pose would be like posing a male soldier in a "bodybuilder" type pose. It just wouldn't look right. Soldiers should be posed in a professional manner, either standing at attention, or simply standing in a relaxed manner.

I'd agree with you, except then why are there jobs men are allowed to do that woman can't? Woman can't serve on the front lines as infantry or in the special forces, or on most submarines (though I think there is one that was retrofitted to allow female officers recently) for example. Woman also progress in rank slower than men. The military may try to make it seem as though there are only soldiers/sailors/airman/marines/whatever, but the truth of the matter is the military recognizes the differences between men and women just like the rest of us do. I'm not anti-women in the military by a long shot. My mother-in-law was a Master Sergeant in the Air Force, and my sister-in-law is a soon to be Captain in the Army (who by the way is one of the most girly girls you'll ever meet, except now she likes guns, and even bought her own personal M4, lol). It's just important to recognize that there is a difference between men and women whether they're in the military or not.

Having said that, since this isn't an official military photo (which many of the above suggestions would work well with), go ahead and have fun. As long as she isn't doing anything to disgrace the uniform, the service or the country, there shouldn't be much limit to what you can try. Let her see the photos before you edit them, and if any make her uncomfortable, don't use them. But feel free to try some things.

I had 24 years worth of 'official photos' and they all looked pretty much the same, I really didn't need to be there. Just PS in my rank badges, my face and my ribbons.
What I would have liked was a picture of me that showed me as me.

I had 24 years worth of 'official photos' and they all looked pretty much the same, I really didn't need to be there. Just PS in my rank badges, my face and my ribbons.

I disagree with that. You didn't wear the uniform to express your individualism.

I disagree with that. You didn't wear the uniform to express your individualism.

Luckily enough, wearing the uniform didn't require me to think uniformly and, as long as I wear it correctly and don't do anything to dishonor it, then I can be photographed in a way I choose, in a non-uniform manner

There is nothing wrong with the public realizing that military people are not automatons stamped from one mold, that we are actually individuals who have made a choice for service that requires a uniformity of dress and bearing.

Lew

Why not just let women be women?

+1...light her up and shoot
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back