Possible: S/W Processing of scanned B&W film?


TPF Noob!
Dec 30, 2006
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there
I tried getting it printed at a few studios but they say that the reagents and holder size for printing b/w film are not available and they can not print it.

I scanned a couple deteriorating film negatives. They are about 60 or more years old and are fading fast... Is it possible to process the scans to look like prints on Adobe or some other program?
what size is the negative?

and yes you can scan the negative and then do what ever you like with the photo editing program.

or, perhaps i don't understand the question.
Few are square negatives od size 5.6cm * 5.6cm A couple are rectangular.

Scanning the negative and developing it on the computer is the idea.

If possible what s/w could I possible use?
attaching one of the scans
what is s/w?

again, you can scan these and edit, which is similar to developing in a darkroom.
Several points:

1. Yes, you can make this look like a "normal print" if what you mean is to make it a positive image rather than a negative. Any decent scanning software will have a control for you to tell it whether the original is a positive or a negative. Often the control has three options: print (assumes positive), transparency (film positive), negative (film negative). Sometimes "print" is termed "reflective" or similar.

2. You can invert a negative image, such as the one you posted, to get a positive. In Photoshop the function is termed "Invert" and is found on the "Image/Adjustments/" sub-menu. Photoshop Elements also terms it "Invert" but I don't know its menu location. Any decent image editor will have the function though the name may vary.

3. You scanned the negative upside down. When experimenting with your image I had to "Flip Horizontal" the image (Photoshop's menu term) to get the license plate to read correctly.

4. This negative, given its appearance in the scan and your measured 56x56mm size, is a standard 120 roll film negative shot in the standard 12 shot per roll square format. Its a common format for both simple box cameras and many advanced cameras (e.g. Hasselblads, Rolleiflex, and most TLR style cameras).
Last edited:
Well, here it is with minimal PS work:


  • $fp82tk.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 157

Most reactions