Possibly a new way to make money on your existing photo shoots.

I'm with the big ape on this one. I guess not everyone has the same standards.

What was described sounds like a commercial/fashion shoot. So if a photographer's doing that, the premise is that he/she would take some photos at the shoot that aren't for the paying client?

But wouldn't the photographer need model releases for other purposes? Would everyone at the shoot, makeup artists etc., go along with this and keep working at the shoot knowing it's no longer for the client who hired them?

I would think it would just be a matter of time that eventually either someone else at the shoot would start questioning what the photographer is doing or a client would happen to see photos that looked like they were shot at the client's shoot and being used by someone else.

And I'm not sure how a photographer is going to contract for two jobs at the same shoot at the same time. This premise seems to be asking photographers to disrespect their clients by using their time and money for another job.

Maybe some others will add their opinions. Maybe I'm completely off track in understanding this premise. I just don't think it seems like it would be worth a photographer risking his/her professional reputation.
Often times photographers will test with agencies (meaning the agency will allow you to photograph their models for free in exchange for the images) and there is no paying client and often no budget whatsoever except what you have in your wallet, and agencies give the more experienced photographers a lot of creative freedom. Generally these types of shoots get submitted as editorials to magazines usually with the only payment being tearsheets. These shoots often consist of an entire creative team (hair, makeup, wardrobe, set and prop designers, etc) who are also working in exchange for images for their portfolios as payment and tearsheets from potentially being published. It's likely that after submitting an editorial that there would be hundreds of extra photos from the shoot that were either rejected by the magazine or they weren't submitted in the first place, and depending on the publishing contract between you and the magazine you could hypothetically use those images to sell on a site that is designed to sell images like that. You could even potentially charge more for an image that has been retouched, or sell a raw image and not even have to bother; both could be valuable either way. If you end up earning money from the shoot though, the agency should get a cut to give to the model. Not being honest about this with the agency or model could ruin your relationship with that or other agencies, so it's important to be up front with them if you earn money, and pay them a percentage. As for the rest of the creative team, it depends on the circumstances and agreements you've made with them. I personally recommend paying all of them when and if you can, as it helps build a better relationship and will make them much more willing to work for you in the future whether they're paid or not, and a good creative team is a fashion/beauty/portrait photographer's most valuable asset.

I have no idea if a stock site like this would work, but hypothetically that is how I assume photographers would have images available to submit to the site and be sold. Honestly I think these kind of photos can be sold on regular stock sites as well though, but perhaps in that this site would be geared toward a particular type of client you may be able to sell for higher prices, so it could be a better option if it works.

Last edited:
Now I kind of get it, I think... On the website there were two live when I looked; both traveling/on vacation? so I suppose if someone wanted photos of something particular there it would be possible to contact and then contract with the photographers (who may be vacationing and working freelance, on their own, and licensing their photos for travel magazines? fine art prints? etc.).

But there may be a need for a property release to be obtained by the photographer depending on how the photo(s) would be potentially used. I don't know how much market there would be for travel/scenery photos, or if art directors are looking for that and can't find it elsewhere.

Seems like to do a shoot in most cases there would be a conflict of interest to be shooting for one client and try to take photos for someone else as well.

here are millions and millions of stock photos out there right? It's a $5Billion industry. Most of those photos, not all but most, were set up properly at one point by a photographer, on his own dime, and did a full shoot hoping that one day someone, somewhere will need this photo. So people are already doing this even with extremely bad returns.

If before their photo shoot, they let other know about it. They will have an opportunity to shoot the photos they already know that someone needs and will pay for it.

Look, the big flaw, as someone mentioned, is that there is zero chance of the timing working out that would make this work in any reasonable amount.

We've already established that we aren't talking about people grabbing shots on another client's dime. So, that leaves self-initiated, self-funded shoots. Bob, the hobby shooter says "Hey, this Saturday, I'm shooting my friend doing some skateboarding at the local park." Saturday passes, Bob takes his pictures. Three months later, Joe, the editor says, "Boy, I wish I could get a picture of someone holding a skateboard over their head. Oh, look, here's a shoot... oh rats. It was three months ago." There is no way the timing would work.

Otherwise, you have Snapwire, ImageBrief, etc., all the sites that offer up spec briefs and award one person, if any, the royalty, if the work is found satisfactory.

Seriously, don't waste your time on this. BTW, it isn't an "existing photo shoot". It's an "upcoming" or "planned" photo shoot.

eta: looks like you got a lot of feedback a year ago: MicrostockGroup

Setup some workshops for shy photo enthusiasts, charge them, and pay the model. Keep a percentage.

@NickArt I read a bit on the concept, can't find which post contains a link to your website so I can check it out.

My first impression, as an aspiring professional photographer, is that I maybe a few of your target market. Someone who's looking to do something on the side at the moment. I started photography as a hobby anyways and I'm not opposed to doing something to make a living out of it. BUT I probably would not use it for long if I intend to create value in my work. Not to say that it's something your concept doesn't apply. It just seems like Plan C when there's already Plans A and B.

Then again, Youtube, Amazon, Google , Paypal, Facebook etc were not on any top three .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back