post 911 hysteria is abundant

THORHAMMER

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Ok, sorry to post in the general gallery, but there are pictures and I am doing another post as we speak with the actual shots I got .....
If you need to move it I understand, but I thought it was important .....

So, I am on PCH in wilmintgon CA, passing through Long Beach. almost the san pedro area, there is a small freeway bridge that goes over the oil refineries right there. I found a place to park at the base of the hill and walked up halfway up the right side.

I got some nice pics when a security guy pulls up in a pickup and says I cant take pictures, well im on the sidewalk for jees sakes. I ask him what hes guarding he says the oil refinerys.

I tell him to go away and bother someone else.

Of course he calls the cops...

5 cars come with sirens on and everything. It was hillarious.

First of all they Cited the security guy for blocking traffic on a 2 lane highway which I was laughing in his face for like 10 minutes..

Still I had to give them my info and they had to check that I had no warrants. 10 minutes and I was free to shoot. Seriously did we need 5 cars and the sheriff to come by. They say its beaurocratic crap, no duh...

Seriously, it should be against the law to take someones info when they are doing nothing wrong. but its no biggie. I could care less. I have nothing to worry about.

Next time im leaving my wallet in my car. just giving them my name and social, that way they will prob get lazy and forget to type it into a database when they get back, and just file it away.

So afterwards all of the 5 cars and an unmarked detective car all congregate at my car at the base of the hill. they were just talking donuts, but my car was nervous.

Lowered to the ground and missing front plates and tinted, they did nothing
also they were pretty nice to me. I think they just HAVE to come out when the guard calls and cries "national security" oh well... it was funny to see them give him a ticket... cause I did nothing wrong he had no right to block traffic they said...

when I finally got to my car one of the guys asked me where I had my engine done cause his son was looking to fix up a 94 integra... lol hillarious.
I guess I make friends everywhere.....

All of the manpower wasted that night, I wonder how many crack deals got away with cause of this...

security guard license plate this guy does not know the law at all
bridgeexpiriencedec07lb-1.jpg

bridgeexpiriencedec07lb-3.jpg

bridgeexpiriencedec07lb-4.jpg

BTW, here are the bridge shots
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104021

I'm more embarrassed to be an American everyday! Our society is so full of fear and polarized in the extreme. I am glad the insecurity guard got a ticket! Those types are so hungry for any false since of power they can get. Freakin angry inch. Glad it turned out OK for you.

I was chased away from some water towers once, but not as dramatic as your event.

-S

thats effing stupid. i hate cops so much. seriously this makes me want to do something about this. well i hope you got good pics. (
i think i saw them in another thread, if those are the ones im thinking of then very nice =) ) seriously what the hell is the harm in taking pictures. i wish things were how they used to be. either that or maybe one of the top 10 reasons out of like 5987587457 as to why i want to move to england.

All of the manpower wasted that night, I wonder how many crack deals got away with cause of this...

hahahaha...amazing. for serioud tho

That's funny alright, you should have said to the cops, hey, your in the wrong place, the donut shop is around the corner! Seriously though, the cops are great, just doing their job, it was the private security guy who was at fault here....

I had a similar situation yesterday. 7.05am still dark, I am going out to Bull Island here in Dublin, no-one on the streets. A taxi leaves me off at the side of the road to cross the bridge myself as I asked. Getting out of the car with my camera bag and my tripod, packed in an over the shoulder sling bag. Cops drive past, tax goes. Two minutes later I take my camera out, start taking out my tripod and extend it for the first shot and the cops turn up, the same ones, flashing lights. They felt light idiots...

Cops: What you doing.... oh....
Me looking at them funny: Its a tripod, using it for landscape sunrise shots....
Cops: A motorist drove past and said you were assembling a rifle!!!

Eh, ok!

LOL:greenpbl:

Yeah, they get real scared when you're taking pictures of infrastructure - bridges, airports, power plants (especially nuclear plants)...

Expect the government to try to sneak some law through that actually makes it illegal - you know, to protect us from the terrorists. Oh, and habeas corpus does not exist anymore, so don't think that just because you didn't do anything they can't arrest and hold you.

all I know is that its a good job these terrorists we hear so much about haven't heard of google earth :lol: just think what they could learn that :lol: I mean its got like maps and photos and everything

do you mind if i use that picture of the cops to put on my myspace?

I think I told you my story when we got together... effectively the same thing. Went to shoot near the harbor between Long Beach and LA, and got "security-ed" by two dough-boys for setting up a tripod. Told them to go eat play dough, they called the cop... who told them about my rights. Then he pointed out some really good places from where to get great shots.

I have no beef with cops... and they're always happy to be treated like people.

Security ****s in a tiny pick-up are a different story though :)

Wow, did not know that particular word would generate asterisks... sweet.

Wow, did not know that particular word would generate asterisks... sweet.

LOL !!!

thats the funniest thing ive heard in a long time..

you should consider making that phrase your signature !!! or else I will take it for mine.. hahahaha nice one...

seriously, you are correct, it all depends on whose on watch and stuff, I think it actually was harder about 2 years ago, nowadays theyve gotten sued a bunch of times(cops) and are a little more cautious where they tread,

Basically there good, but the guards that overstep their bounds are just total crap, a good security guard is a silent invisible one.

But then again im weird, im one of those people who if the receipt nazi at best buy tried to actually stop me from walking through and put his hand on me, I would break it(the hand and arm). So I have zero patience for that stuff...

Crazy stuff, good job defendin yourself thorhammer. :)

thats effing stupid. i hate cops so much. seriously this makes me want to do something about this. well i hope you got good pics.

Hate is a pretty strong word. And if hate is what you really feel, it will show when you have an interaction with one, or several. That attitude might alter the outcome of your little meeting. (for a little entertainment, google chris rock police)

The cops had to respond to a call. The Rent-A-Cop was the one at fault. Glad to see he got sited. A lot of Rent-A-Cops are like little Hitlers. Give them a little power and a flashing light and they think they are a God. The real cops have seen it all though, well almost. I am sure they got a kick out of this RAC blocking traffic and playing like he is saving the world. This was just a little entertainment to them and a break in a boring night. Glad it all worked out for you.

The security guard was at fault here. Nothing new, most security guards are douches. It sounds like you handled it well but you should chill with the whole "omg my rights are being infringed on, all cops want to do is spoil my good time!"...it's childish and annoying. You got your shots, what's the big deal?

The security guard was at fault here. Nothing new, most security guards are douches. It sounds like you handled it well but you should chill with the whole "omg my rights are being infringed on, all cops want to do is spoil my good time!"...it's childish and annoying. You got your shots, what's the big deal?

WOw, what a jerk , um, like I totally know that you didnt read my post, but skimmed through the comments and tried desperately to think of something witty to say. It didn't work cause if you had been witty you would have read what I actually said regarding cops in my post.

to take someones info when they are doing nothing wrong. but its no biggie. I could care less. I have nothing to worry about.

And this Basically there good,(cops) but the guards that overstep their bounds are just total crap,

The only people I complained about infringing on my rights were the guards. Your statement is completely false.
I cant speak for the other posters, but you accused me specifically, you should check your facts before you accuse.

if you don't think the issue of post 911 security hassling photographers is not important or doesn't affect us all,
then you should probably just pass through without trying to start an argument.
Why spend the time to post if this thread is so annoying, why read it.?

its like the guy who says the show CSI sucks, and when asked why is sucks, he admits to watching all of the episodes. Kinda makes him a tool. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back