Post a picture of yourself

Thanks! Yes, I was way into rangs. Was on the board of directors of the US Boomerang Association, and in LA for the '85 Nationals (with my MX). I did OK, but maybe not in a league with the best. That year, I think I made it to #17 nationally, but really, there weren't all that many boomerang competitors, lol. I did make a thousand or so of my various designs back in the day, and still have walls full of boomerangs. My club, the Atlanta Boomerang Society, hosted the Nationals the next year and it was an event! We managed to secure the Atlanta Falcons Training Facility, and there was lots of press there (not usual for a boomerang event).

That's cool! I have never really used a boomerang before, I have thought about making one before, I do some woodcarving and it easy to carve something basic.
Are you still involved in the sport?
I still toss them! But I don't make them or compete, haha. Hey, it's pretty much the only exercise I get :)
Try 5 or 7-ply aircraft or marine birch. You want all layers flawless for consistent strength and mass density.
One thing about boomerangs: the better you get, the less like exercise it is...

Here's a few of my old rangs. The tomahawk was made by the late great Rusty Harding- I have several left and right-hand examples of those!

16223104124_53cda8cf9d_o.jpg

Here's a couple of my best performing designs. Of course, everyone commonly borrows features from other maker's designs, adding an innovation here and there. These days, competition boomerangs are pretty much formula, from what I've seen, and less craft. But there are still lots of makers out there who use traditional materials!

16799083268_962b51ba79_o.jpg

I still toss them! But I don't make them or compete, haha. Hey, it's pretty much the only exercise I get :)
Try 5 or 7-ply aircraft or marine birch. You want all layers flawless for consistent strength and mass density.

Here's a few of my old rangs. The tomahawk was made by the late great Rusty Harding- I have several left and right-hand examples of those!

Here's a couple of my best performing designs. Of course, everyone commonly borrows features from other maker's designs, adding an innovation here and there. These days, competition boomerangs are pretty much formula, from what I've seen, and less craft. But there are still lots of makers out there who use traditional materials!

I have a book that shows how to make them, but it is a primitive survival skills book. They start with a tree branch in the correct shape, so it is made with an unbroken grain. But they also end with showing how to kill something with it! LOL And their boomerangs aren't near as sporty as your's are. :)

Looks like you even adopted the aboriginal hairstyle and beard. That's dedication. :)

I want one.. I still have a pair of shorts like those, along with the glasses. Groovy

I have a book that shows how to make them, but it is a primitive survival skills book. They start with a tree branch in the correct shape, so it is made with an unbroken grain. But they also end with showing how to kill something with it! LOL And their boomerangs aren't near as sporty as your's are. :)
Those used as weapons are generally the larger, heavier, gently-curved Kill sticks, Throwing sticks, or Kylies (in OZ). They fly, but don't return. Sometimes a boomerang might be used to throw side-armed up into a flight of birds, in hopes of nailing one or two- in which case the boomerang wouldn't return, either. Best use of wood is to use laminated wood, and easiest is to just acquire a sheet of high quality birch aircraft ply. For a while, I taught a class in boomerangs for a company called The Learning Annex.

What are the competitions like?
Throwing, catching, distance?

Is that you in this video?

OMGGGGG!!! How did you find that? I used to have it on VHS long ago. The spokes person is my friend Brent Russell. He and I formed the club, which is still around today. I'm the bearded guy in the blue shirt and kaki shorts- check out that one-handed catch at 2:40, lol.

Looks like you even adopted the aboriginal hairstyle and beard. That's dedication. :)
I'm afraid so.

I want one.. I still have a pair of shorts like those, along with the glasses. Groovy
I'm not speaking in that vid, but I'm in there throwing ^^^

Hi. I'm using a 1946, maybe 1947, Kodak Medalist II here. The 620 film was rerolled from a 120 spool. It's easy to do. My daughter's husband's folks (I guess I should say my In-laws) knew someone in the Los Angeles area that had this camera & wanted to give it a good home. They gave it to me. I read all I could on it, & that camera, the "Cobblestone", is a real gem. It's definitely a keeper. (Now all I got to do is figure out how to post a photo.)

rsz_img7871.jpg

OK, photo came through.

-Rich Reeder, Mesa, Arizona.

I like to know what who I am talking to looks like, just a thing. I'm sure many of you agree it is more personal that way. I'd post this in the self portrait thread, but some of the pics I am about weren't taken by me. You can also post a little info to make the convos smoother.

l_abc4d860624b0ea7fa28b6e67b358480.jpg

And finally a cool kind of dazed black and white.

IMG_0086.jpg

Been into photography: interested for about 3 years, hands on since December 2006 (first camera)
Most browsed sections: any sub forum under "The Foundations of Photography"

OMGGGGG!!! How did you find that? I used to have it on VHS long ago. The spokes person is my friend Brent Russell. He and I formed the club, which is still around today. I'm the bearded guy in the blue shirt and kaki shorts- check out that one-handed catch at 2:40, lol.

Image1.jpg

Now we need to find one of you playing the didgeridoo.

Reactions: pez

Who know that would be wandering around youtube! LOL

Reactions: pez

Now we need to find one of you playing the didgeridoo.
Nice still frame :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back