POST YOUR MACRO RIG. If you have one that is. This may be a good beginners tutorial

You don't get women like that 'Up North' do you Gary?? :lol:

How wrong you are Kimosabe,

Look at her profile and you will notice that she is one of us 'Canuks'. Stunning ladies are everywhere up here. It's the clean air and maybe something in the water.

It's the lack of culture - in the water, I mean ;)

I know you mean culture as in what you might grow in a petrie dish or that you might find in the back of the fridge.

How wrong you are Kimosabe,

Look at her profile and you will notice that she is one of us 'Canuks'. Stunning ladies are everywhere up here. It's the clean air and maybe something in the water.

It's the lack of culture - in the water, I mean ;)

I know you mean culture as in what you might grow in a petrie dish or that you might find in the back of the fridge.

Thanks for pointing that out, Captain Obvious! :)

Which particular setup ;)
Ya'll macro shooters need to come over to Canon - here is where the fun is at :)

4333424286_5d1b49b300_z.jpg

Canon MPE 65mm macro - Sigma 150mm macro - Sigma 70mm macro (oh and my Tokina 35mm which is tiny and missing from that shot)

And a typical setup for me:
5451068014_b2b7db9ab6_z.jpg

Although working handheld rather than on tripod (didn't have anyone to hold it/camera to take the shot)

And an example:
4979501986_0e3e162b65_z.jpg

And then just for fun this is what:
MPE65mm macro lens at 5:1 + Canon 2*TC + 68mm of extension tubes + Sigma 2*TC gives you
4571862748_f436bda7fb_z.jpg

Something crazy high in magnification, a very blurry shot, but that is in focus (its just extreme diffraction taking place). And as an idea that is the side of a 10p coin, the tiny cut edges that go around the rim.

Ya'll macro shooters need to come over to Canon - here is where the fun is at :)

The only fun Canon has over the others is that lil' guy on the left.
1132_childish_teasing_smiley_sticking_out_tongue.gif
That MPE 65mm is very unique and sweet. Wish they had something like it for Nikon. One thing Canon does definitely have an advantage over the others is in the area of Telephoto's/Super Teles. Nobody else has glass as long or as light as Canon when it comes to super telephotos.

I'll post up my setup later, but it's mostly just the 100mm Macro, the D7K, Yongnuo triggers on an SB-28 with a DIY light modifier. I've got a tripod I use for stationary subjects, but my main interest in getting small moving critters so I usually hand hold my rig. I was trying to use a gooseneck screwed into the bottom of the camera to position the light, but the light is a bit heavy and the goosneck wants to sag so I've got to get something more rigid.

In the mean time, here's my light source with DIY modifier:
6585451331_d2647189a2_z.jpg

The only fun Canon has over the others is that lil' guy on the left.
1132_childish_teasing_smiley_sticking_out_tongue.gif
That MPE 65mm is very unique and sweet. Wish they had something like it for Nikon. One thing Canon does definitely have an advantage over the others is in the area of Telephoto's/Super Teles. Nobody else has glass as long or as light as Canon when it comes to super telephotos.

Ahh but Nikon has their 200-400mm that I know people have changed brands to get a hold of - though canon has one in the pipeline somewhere along the way.
Plus if its any consolation one of the best macro shooters I know does not use Canon nor Nikon (nor pentax!)
Gear - a set on Flickr
some very good discussions for anyone after a wider range of macro options - esp for higher magnification photography.

Also you might want to consider a RAM-Mount setup instead of your gooseneck, its not too expensive and yet provides a rock solid support for a flash; even a heavier one such as my 580EX2 has no wobble nor problems. Their gear is aimed at cyclists and holding mobphones and GPS devices still whilst riding - so for a camera its ideal.
My very flexible Macro flashbracket: Studio & Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
that thread there gives details on the specific items and components, plus if you need a longer arm adding anther double joint and grip wouldn't be any problem at all.

4333424286_5d1b49b300_z.jpg

Canon MPE 65mm macro - Sigma 150mm macro - Sigma 70mm macro (oh and my Tokina 35mm which is tiny and missing from that shot)

And a typical setup for me:
5451068014_b2b7db9ab6_z.jpg

Although working handheld rather than on tripod (didn't have anyone to hold it/camera to take the shot)

And an example:
4979501986_0e3e162b65_z.jpg

And then just for fun this is what:
MPE65mm macro lens at 5:1 + Canon 2*TC + 68mm of extension tubes + Sigma 2*TC gives you
4571862748_f436bda7fb_z.jpg

Something crazy high in magnification, a very blurry shot, but that is in focus (its just extreme diffraction taking place). And as an idea that is the side of a 10p coin, the tiny cut edges that go around the rim.

GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!!
Is that your setup???

Some of the gear posted here can be rather intimidating to a novice & that is why I showed a simple way of shooting macros using lenses the person likely already has with the aid of extension tubes.

Here is another example, using a 50mm f2 lens on a 25mm tube shooting a rubber stamp.

IMG_4297sm.jpg

Here is the shot which is a 1:2 macro.

P1090325sm.jpg

If one wanted a 1:1 macro you would need 50mm of extension tube. I highly recommend a novice starting out in macro to go with extension tubes, before spending big bucks on a real macro lens.

Some of the gear posted here can be rather intimidating to a novice & that is why I showed a simple way of shooting macros using lenses the person likely already has with the aid of extension tubes.

If one wanted a 1:1 macro you would need 50mm of extension tube. I highly recommend a novice starting out in macro to go with extension tubes, before spending big bucks on a real macro lens.

Hmm, that's a good idea, given that I won't be able to get permission (most likely) for a macro lens, or have the expertise to put it to good use for a while. So, given that my lenses are the basic 18-135 IS and 70-300 IS Canon lenses, which tubes would you recommend to start with? Tubes seem to be fairly inexpensive, so I could pick some up and play around for a while just with those.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hmm, that's a good idea, given that I won't be able to get permission (most likely) for a macro lens, or have the expertise to put it to good use for a while. So, given that my lenses are the basic 18-135 IS and 70-300 IS Canon lenses, which tubes would you recommend to start with? Tubes seem to be fairly inexpensive, so I could pick some up and play around for a while just with those.

Thanks,

Kevin

Check out this link:

kenko extension tubes for Canon | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Thanks,

Kevin

Check out this link:

kenko extension tubes for Canon | eBay

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Kevin

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only have a measly Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 mounted on either a D300 or a D700. I'll sometimes add a flash or four.

The Setup:
SetupShots-WaterDrops.jpg

The Shot:
WaterDrop2a.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back