Posting photos for c&c

delko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.
quick question.

I asume if i want to post a photo for c&c then i will need a model release or at least permission of the person?
Sorry for the ignorance.
I have a few shots of a photoshoot. But i didnt let the model sign a release so basically i can only use the photos on my ipad and for personal use but can i post it on the forum for C&C.?

Thank you

Yes you can post it on a forum. It's your photo! Model releases are required for photos intended for commercial use.

Forkie said:
Yes you can post it on a forum. It's your photo! Model releases are required for photos intended for commercial use.

Am i allowed to post it on a blog? Or will i come in big trouble? And like flickr??

Flickr and blogs are fine. The only time you need a model release is if the photo is being using for commercial purposes such as advertising or if you plan to sell it as stock photography. You can put photos of people in blogs, FLickr, Facebook, portfolios, forums, etc. without the model's permission.

Last edited:
Forkie said:
Flickr and blogs are fine. Just don't try to sell it.

:) nope not nearly on standard ......

Thanx you made my day...

Model release laws vary. Here is the USA they vary by state, so there are 50 slightly different versions. You'll have to check what the laws are in South Africa.

As Forkie mentions, in general a model release is only needed if the photo a person is in is used to promote a product or service, or some other commercial use.

The other kind of use is known as editorial use. Posting a photo you took that has people in it here at TPF, or on a personal website, would be considered an editorial use.

Here in the US, selling photos is generally considered an editorial use, and not a commercial use.

Almost anything you do or don't do can get you into some kind of trouble these days. Whatever venture you embark upon, my advice is: always be considerate of other people's feelings, rights, etc.; when in doubt, ask permission or walk away; if it involves a lot of money, consider a legal review of your position, documents, etc.; ask a professional what they think, then buy her/him lunch; if you're not having fun, reconsider what you're doing. And, above all else, remember the Golden Rule: Don't be a dick. ;)

Rights that don't get used, often get taken away.

It is often easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask permission.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back