PowerShot G11 vs S90 (or else?)

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a decent camera for times when i dont have my DSLR at hand, something small and handy i always carry in my jacket or so..what would you get?

Yer kidding.

I looked at some of the reviews and the G11 has too much stuff for it to be a simple point and shoot camera. Remember, i want this to be a pocket camera, i dont need all of these functions. Also, the difference in image quality seems to be minimal and do i really need 1/4000 shutter speed on a p&s? Why bother?

The S90 is looking mighty good right now but of course i am open for other suggestions as well.

Judging from the last post, then any high end p&s is going to be overkill... that includes the canon g series, panasonic lx3, s90, etc....

I think you should consider the latest of the lumix ZS/TZ line. I've been totally happy with my tz5 and I hear the later models keep getting better. Keep in mind most p&s have limitations..(high iso)

I do want nice image quality but not too much stuff to consider when i shoot. The G11 is really nice but has too many features and its too bulky so i could might as well carry ma DSLR with me:)

The price and features usually go along with the image quality in part because the P&S high end and regular P&S fulfill different needs and price points. G11, LX3, S90 etc.. are expensive cameras when compared to the regular P&S models. As such, companies need to incorporate much of the features as to bring consumers to the table and to justify the high cost. Keep in mind, that many of the high end P&S also incorporate a lot of auto-everything type functions as well... so they may just be as easy to use as a regular P&S but with a much thicker manual to figure out.

I tend to fall into the category of the high end P&S and my personal choice has been the Panasonic LX3. I do however have the TZ5 (as I mentioned) that is more along the lines of a regular point and shoot. It is compact, simple use, the IQ is good if you stay at low ISOs with good light, and they come equipped with a very long focal range. It still doesn't come close to the IQ of the LX3 but at less than half the cost, I don't expect it to. Here is a sample from the TZ5. This is non-cropped, in camera processed JPG, at the longest focal length:

380093898.jpg

The TZ5 has long been replaced by newer models which I assume are an improvement; research would have to confirm.

i tried to find the follow up camera of the TZ5 but looks like Lumix went with different names or something so i dont know what it is..too bad..

they will release like 3 cameras in feb, wich look interesting..still, anyone has any recommendation, let me know please.

i tried to find the follow up camera of the TZ5 but looks like Lumix went with different names or something so i dont know what it is..too bad..

they will release like 3 cameras in feb, wich look interesting..still, anyone has any recommendation, let me know please.

ZS7 = TZ10
ZS5 = TZ8
ZS3 = TZ7
ZS1 = TZ6

Yup they renamed them recently... The ZS7 and ZS5 were just announced so you won't find information regarding them yet. The ZS3 and ZS1 were released a year ago as a pair together.

This should be of some interest:

'Compact Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I don't know what prompted the model name change but the "TZ" designation used to mean "travel zoom" meaning lots of zoom and very compact.

Here's another vote for the Panasonic TZ series, or its newer replacement. Smallish, solidly-built, good optical stabilization system, plenty of zoom range,looks good, feels good,shoots good. Much smaller and more svelte than the Canon G-series models. What's not to like?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back