Practice, practice, practice

qy10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I received feedback prior regarding my photos. So, here are some new ones taking into consideration the feedback I received.

I gave the photo more room, didn't accidentally crop any part of the dog's head/ears and tried to make sure the eyes were in focus.

Feedback welcome.

5913246fd500f3cf2aca4ba1efa0c509.jpg

b5447cc60b6b200dc79f78eeaf4ebdbd.jpg

2f8e74646dc0ab122e2c9034ef785acd.jpg

acb9890ac43eb454237ab4482fc41b73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad; for images like the first two, consider shooting in portrait (vertical) orientation.

Not bad; for images like the first two, consider shooting in portrait (vertical) orientation.

Okay. Thanks. Would I shoot vertical to capture more of his neck and chest, rather than JUST his head?

I've always had trouble photographing my babies, they just don't listen to instructions. That said I like #1 pose, but the ears down and the eyes open in #4.

I've always had trouble photographing my babies, they just don't listen to instructions. That said I like #1 pose, but the ears down and the eyes open in #4.

Thank you. I hear ya, he's got a mind of his own when it comes to being my 'model'. I suppose he does need to protect his tough guy image, hahaha.

A little more chest I think.

Thanks. I will try that next time. Luckily, he's pretty good at sitting for me while I obsessively photograph him, haha.

Okay. Thanks. Would I shoot vertical to capture more of his neck and chest, rather than JUST his head?
Your decision to turn the camera either horizontal or vertical will depend on a few things:

If what you "see" as your chosen photograph looks more vertical then turn it vertical. The same thing would apply to a horizontal format. If your intended composition "looks" more horizontal, then horizontal format would probably be best.

The other consideration would be how much of your composition actually "fits" the frame, whether horizontal or vertical. If you have a zoom lens, you can make an adjustment by zooming. If you're using a fixed focal length lens, you can do that by physically moving closer or back to frame your composition as you would like.

Additionally, you can also "frame wide", meaning; allow lots of space around your composition for cropping later. This is actually the easiest, providing that you actually remember to do the cropping, and providing you're not lowering the image quality by enlarging your shot so much that you lose detail.

So whatever looks right when you are shooting your dog. If you arbitrarily crop off part of the dog for no apparent reason, then that becomes the talking point rather than what you had intended. Anytime you get a comment about cropping off part of your subject, that's when you know you've cropped too much.

Yes, you can crop dogs and people, but the remaining composition should be able to stand on its own merit.

From the last set to this set is a huge improvement to my old eyes.Nice Job.

Your decision to turn the camera either horizontal or vertical will depend on a few things:

If what you "see" as your chosen photograph looks more vertical then turn it vertical. The same thing would apply to a horizontal format. If your intended composition "looks" more horizontal, then horizontal format would probably be best.

The other consideration would be how much of your composition actually "fits" the frame, whether horizontal or vertical. If you have a zoom lens, you can make an adjustment by zooming. If you're using a fixed focal length lens, you can do that by physically moving closer or back to frame your composition as you would like.

Additionally, you can also "frame wide", meaning; allow lots of space around your composition for cropping later. This is actually the easiest, providing that you actually remember to do the cropping, and providing you're not lowering the image quality by enlarging your shot so much that you lose detail.

So whatever looks right when you are shooting your dog. If you arbitrarily crop off part of the dog for no apparent reason, then that becomes the talking point rather than what you had intended. Anytime you get a comment about cropping off part of your subject, that's when you know you've cropped too much.

Yes, you can crop dogs and people, but the remaining composition should be able to stand on its own merit.

Honestly, the primary reason I haven't done much vertical is because he's usually wearing a leash. I saw the way he was sitting and the way the light was hitting him and I really thought that it would make a good photo, but I'm confident in my ability to edit out a leash successfully, so rather than risk ruining a good photo opportunity, I chose to go horizontal. I do agree though that showing his chest a bit more would be more effective. I think the shots of his face are really nice in that he looks good and the colour is good, but he kind of just looks like a floating head, haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back