Praktica FX2 Camera With Zeiss Tessar 50mm f2.8 Lens

NHGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am not sure how old this camera is, but I am thinking 50's or 60's. It was left to me when my father passed and I have no use for it. I would like 175.00 for it.. I am not sure if it works, but it looks to be in very good condition with all parts included. Everything is free moving.
camera1.JPG
camera2.JPG
camera2.JPG
camera4.JPG
camera3.JPG

The FX2 was produced between 1956-58.

You might like $175.00 for it, but you'll have better luck if you drop the price. If you look at the sold listings on ebay, that model and lens generally sells for between $20-50.

Agree^^ And, to be honest, I'd expect that one to be at the lower end given that it appears to have the dust of ages on it.

If it was your father's camera, the sentimental value might be higher than the retail price of $20-$30....depends. That crazy vintage neckstrap might actually be more marketable on e-Bay, for those in search of a GENUINE, back-in-the-film-era neckstrap.

The FX2 was produced between 1956-58.

You might like $175.00 for it, but you'll have better luck if you drop the price. If you look at the sold listings on ebay, that model and lens generally sells for between $20-50.

Thanks so much for the info!! I had looked at a few listings on EBay and they were listed for over 200.00 that is why I had listed it for the 175.00.

Thanks so much for the info!! I had looked at a few listings on EBay and they were listed for over 200.00 that is why I had listed it for the 175.00.
The asking price is not always the selling price. Do a search for the completed sales of those cameras.

Yup, that's the trick with ebay. To get a real sense of the prices, always look at the sold listings and check the prices that people paid, not just asked for.

It's a shame you don't want to use it yourself. The Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm is a really nice lens and the Prakticas are pretty solid cameras. I've got one myself and it's a fun little thing. :)

If you want to sell it on e-Bay, of course list it as RARE! and VINTAGE German 35mm SLR! camera with ORIGINAL leather case! Buy-it Now for some outrageous price, like $395, and use the word RARE! at least five times in the listing.

Surely you have seen this tactic on eBay camera auctions, right? It is a low-value camera, really, so clean it up realllllllly thoroughly, with Q-tips, rubbing alcohol, soft cloths, the works. DO NOT put Armor-All or anything on the body or the leather, but clean off the dust, and shoot some decent photos of it. Maybe you will attract the attention of some far-too-wealthy camera nut with a credit card. Cleaning this camera up will not destroy its valuable patina; these cameras are not inherently valuable, but if you can emphasize its good qualities, its vintage appeal, its rareness, you might find a sucker.

The body isn't worth much, and may actually hurt the value.

The lens is a 1Q, but not a Red T and the barrel isn't in the best of condition. When pricing CZJs you ave to be careful of the markings. Red T, which this is not, will demand far more.

Typically it sells for about $60-120, it appears to be an auto lens, which, for some reason sell for more. I don't really know why, preset is more useful without an A/M switch (even then, I prefer preset). For some reason someone bought one in an Exacta mount for $235.

You could prob. get slightly more for a Biotar than a Tessar, but people are more familiar with Tessar, leaving the CZJ connoisseurs. I'd buy it, but I have enough 50s.

I agree, the strap itself might do better being sold separately if it's in good condition. I don't know that I'd do much if any cleaning; I think it's possible to do more damage than improve the condition to start squirting stuff on or in a camera (that shouldn't be squirted on or in a camera).

Most reactions

Back