Pre-Newbie...Nikon 5100 second lense recommendation.

cleglue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I was to purchase this camera instead of the packaged one below it...what second lens would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

These are new prices.

Nikon D5100 16.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm-55 mm

$546.95
Nikon System Case
4GB Class 10 30MB/s SDHC Card
Nikon School D5100 DVD "Explore New Techniques"
Nikon School "Guide to Digital SLR Photography"
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
Quick Charger
USB Cable
Audio Video Cable
Camera Strap
Nikon ViewNX 2 CD-ROM

Price $799.99

Last edited:
A 35mm 1.8 af-s g prime lens. But then again, it's a good deal. i'm assuming that's the deal in Costco.

Oh my I have to insert my standard response to newbs and primes...

Well everyone has their own opinion. I think mine makes the most sense for anyone starting out (especially on a limited budget) Start with a kit lens, learn how to use your camera... Then spend one day only shooting at 35mm, spend the next day only shooting at 50mm. You might like one length better than the other, you might hate both and find you only shoot at 18mm, or you never have enough reach so you might want a tele? Who knows, everyone is different, that is why there are so many lens options. Just my humble opinion...

Anyways. The kit deal is a very good price. The other option is to buy a refurb from Cameta D5100 with kit lens for $450 with free shipping and a 1 year warranty. Use it for awhile and then come back in 6 months if you are ready for a prime. The 55-300 is a pretty good lens, it is relatively sharp but the AF is a little slow. I had it and sold it. Tamron makes a 70-300 VC for about 450 with a $100 rebate and it is a much better lens in my opinion, but it is bigger and heavier. Just my humble opinion...

Oh my I have to insert my standard response to newbs and primes...

Well everyone has their own opinion. I think mine makes the most sense for anyone starting out (especially on a limited budget) Start with a kit lens, learn how to use your camera... Then spend one day only shooting at 35mm, spend the next day only shooting at 50mm. You might like one length better than the other, you might hate both and find you only shoot at 18mm, or you never have enough reach so you might want a tele? Who knows, everyone is different, that is why there are so many lens options. Just my humble opinion...

A 35mm prime is the 50mm equivalent to an FX camera. But this is good advice to try which focal length you want for your prime because it will "train" you to be comforatable with the focal length. In spite of that not all will be comfortable with a 35mm prime on a DX camera. And remember having a prime entails walking back and forth from your subject to get a good frame. That said the D5100 deal is still a good deal. Perhaps the prime can still wait. Only reason I mentioned a prime is due to its sharpness compared to the kit lens. Also, prices of prime lenses don't really change that much at all. But bundled kits do and you'll save at least $200 on that bundled kit. ;)

Ok, I'm going to go against the grain here. If you can afford the two lens kit at $800 go for it and try to add a flash right away. Sounds like you are pretty new to the hobby so it is difficult for you to know your photographic preferences right now. After you've taken a couple thousand photos you'll be in a much better place to pick other lenses. By that time you will have learned weather you prefer wide angle, normal or telephoto fields of view. By then you will understand the role of aperture on exposure and on depth of field. You will also be in a position to decide if either good primes or top shelf zooms would better enable you to achieve your imaging visions.

Have fun with your new camera and try to avoid asking forums which best chit you should get next.

Thanks for this advice since i was also looking for a second lens to get next to the kitlens.

I would suggest just keep shooting with the 18-55mm until you notice a lack of something. Then get whatever you think you need. For example:

- AF-S DX 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR for a very cheap, very lightweight, somewhat fragile build and in the lower part of the focal length range optically wonderful zoom
- AF-S 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR for a pro grade zoom for sports (a bit overdimensioned for the D5100 though), can later be used on FX cameras too, should you ever upgrade
- SB400 flash for, well, a simple flash. More light, faster recycle, can bounce upwards for more indirect light, compared to builtin flash.
- SB600 for a more sophisticated flash. Again this has features that are a bit oversized for the D5100 itself, will be safe to upgrade though. Can bounce sideways and again more flash power.
- AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 prime lens for photos indoors without flash. Can reportedly be used on FX if the camera has a 5:4 aspect ratio mode and Auto DX is disabled in the camera
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for an even brighter prime lens with great bokeh
- AF-S 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for the same, but with a more portrait oriented focal length. Not that great Bokeh, though. Can be used on FX
- Also AF-S 85mm f/1.8 prime lens for portrait. Bokeh isnt too shabby. Can be used on FX
- AF-S micro DX 85mm f/3.5 VR for 1:1 macro with image stabilization and more working distance so you're not blocking the light (your 18-55mm already offers 1:3.2 macro that is sufficient for lesser tasks)
- Tamron 11-16mm f/2.8 for the wide end of the spectrum

Personally I have btw:
- D5100,
- 35mm f/1.8 (I love it and rarely use any other, but the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 could be just as great and even brighter, which sometimes would be handy),
- 55-200mm (I almost always use it at 55mm f/4 for its great sharpness and bokeh),
- 18-55mm (Almost never on the camera, but useful for macro and wide angle),
- SB400 (I wished I got the SB600 instead, though)
- B+W 52mm ND3 filter (So I can use the 35mm at f/1.8 even in bright sunlight)
- B+W 52mm Polarizer (Shouldnt have gotten it; Hoya is reportedly better, also I just dont do landscapes, ever)
- Second Battery (always nice to have)
- A couple 16GB Memorycards of highest quality (So only parts of my pictures would get lost, if I lose a memory card or its getting damaged. Sadly there is no second memory card slot for a backup option with the D5100)

Last edited:
I would suggest just keep shooting with the 18-55mm until you notice a lack of something. Then get whatever you think you need.

This, IMHO, is really the best advice. The 18-55mm VR kit lens is a very good lens and will be useful in almost every situation. If you're new to photography, as the title of this thread suggests, then getting a second lens right away is probably not the best use of your money. I bought the D5100 w/ the 18-55mm and almost immediately bought the 55-300mm. The problem is, I found I'm really more of a landscape/cityscape/architecture shooter so the 55-300mm isn't as useful for me as it would be for someone doing, say, nature/animal photography. Realizing this, I next went for the Nikon 35mm f/1.8, which is an excellent lens - very clear and sharp. More recently, I purchased the Nikon 10-24mm as I discovered I love to take ultra-wide angle shots.

Figure out what kind of photography you like to do, then buy your second lens based on your needs for that particular interest.

A 35mm 1.8 af-s g prime lens. But then again, it's a good deal. i'm assuming that's the deal in Costco.

+1

+1 more

I have a similar camera (d3200). I have actually used the 18-55 quite a bit. I also have the 35mm and the 55-300. So far the 35mm is by far my favorite and is in use more than the other lenses I have. Each has a different use, of course.

Most reactions

Back