Pre-order of Nikon D7100 - is it worth the extra cost?

Dee2258

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm getting into Photography as a hobby and been waiting on getting my gift cards to help pay for my camera. I finally decided on the Nikon D7000 but a friend of mine said he saw that the pre-order of D7100 is coming out in mid March and will have 24px. I know that higher px works best for larger prints (poster size?) which I think I might want to blow up some images I take to display in my living room wall, but is it worth it or should I just go for the lower price one?

Amazon.com: Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only): NIKON: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo

I suppose I can wait or pay more if it is really worth it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do have a set of gift cards valued at $850. So I have to pay the rest. Obviously my budget isn't very big since I'm looking at this camera instead of the more powerful ones but wondering if you had to choose, would you spend the extra $300+ to have it.

Right now my cart is at $1,562.96 if I was to buy the D7100:

SquareTrade 4-Year Camera Protection Plan ($1000-1250) - SquareTrade $199.98
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - NIKON
Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only) - NIKON
Neewer Lens Cap Holder - Neewer
Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots - John Batdorff; Paperback

I know that higher px works best for larger prints (poster size?) which I think I might want to blow up some images I take to display in my living room wall...

You can easily print poster-sized images with a 6 or 10MP camera. Don't let the sensor size drive your purchase. The D7000 can be had for $900 new (less after the D7100 comes out, I'm sure) or $750 factory refurbished and will definitely allow you to create large prints. Plus, the money you save over a D7100 (which is $1,200) will allow you to sink more cash into better glass. Lastly, as a newbie to the hobby, buying a used or refurb camera is a good move while you make sure photography is something that will hold your interest.

EDIT: Looking at the info you just posted above, I'd recommend you go with a zoom as your first lens as opposed to the 50 1.8D. Although it's a great lens (I own one myself), you'll appreciate a zoom more in the beginning as you test and advance your skills. Try the 18-55mm VR or the 18-105 VR. Add in the 55-200mm VR for longer reach.

I'd also skip the 4-year protection plan and save the $200, but that's just me. I rarely, if ever buy extended warranties for electronics, but if you want peace of mind, go for it.

Last edited:
SquareTrade 4-Year Camera Protection Plan ($1000-1250) - SquareTrade $199.98
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - NIKON
Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only) - NIKON
Neewer Lens Cap Holder - Neewer
Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great Shots - John Batdorff; Paperback

If you can afford the D7100 then get it. If not get a used/refurb D7000.

You could save some money by not getting the extended warranty. I've used SquareTrade before (iPad's/iPhone's) and i would recommend them, however, you could get a good used lens for that price. If you do decide to get the extended warranty i would suggest searching for an online coupon... SquareTrade normaly has a 30% off coupon every month.

I know its only ~$1... but you don't need a lens cap holder.

You may be able to find that book at your public library. I know ours has a few copies of it.

Most reactions

Back