Preferred Lighting

mic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sup fellas. This is my first post here on the forums so I'll get right into it. I'm messing around with a Canon XTi Rebel SLR right now, and I'm trying to setup a studio in the back of my office. My question is, what's the preferred source of lighting if i'm taking photos of clothing for a lookbook? (ie. yellow light, led, flourescent) Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Sup fellas. This is my first post here on the forums so I'll get right into it. I'm messing around with a Canon XTi Rebel SLR right now, and I'm trying to setup a studio in the back of my office. My question is, what's the preferred source of lighting if i'm taking photos of clothing for a lookbook? (ie. yellow light, led, flourescent) Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

You want a set of something like these, calibrated at daylight color temperature.

Or you can work with a window as the main light source, as a big softbox, and a couple of (D-I-Y) reflectors.

Have fun!

A cheap speed light and pc cord or cheap radio trigger will save you money. It's a good option if you want to do it on a budget and don't plan on shooting more than one person sized object.

If you are shooting inanimate subjects...you could use just about any type of lighting...because you can use a tripod and long shutter speeds. Just remember that you will want to keep the color temp of the lights consistent....so don't mix types.

If you are shooting people, then I'd recommend flash/strobe lighting. It could be studio strobes or hot-shoe type strobes. There are pros and cons to either.

Since you are just getting started you might not need strobes. especially since your subjects aren't moving. Try a nice set of constant lights. Westcott makes a set called the PhotoBasics. They are inexpensive and durable.

Just my 2 cents.

I vastly prefer and recommend strobes over constant on for many reasons too.

I vastly prefer and recommend strobes over constant on for many reasons too.

Yeah! Reasons like a comfortable ambient working temperature, the (insufficiently) available ventilation, the fire hazard, and the fire insurance.
Those constant lights get really HOT!

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I think that both constant and strobes have their place. I must say that I prefer strobes but I also use constant lights at times. It all depends on what the shot or subject needs. babies for instance are easier to shoot with constant since the strobes have a tendency to make them jump.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I think that both constant and strobes have their place. I must say that I prefer strobes but I also use constant lights at times. It all depends on what the shot or subject needs. babies for instance are easier to shoot with constant since the strobes have a tendency to make them jump.[/FONT]

The new moms and dads of your city should be beating a path to your door, you shoot unique baby photos: jumping babies...!
:lol::lol:

Most reactions

Back