Preggo Pics, CC please

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I'm relatively new to flash photography. I roped in some willing victims. My friends were willing to help me out and I think I got a few nice shots for them. They have 2 months to go, so I can probably try again.

I'm new to flash as well as shooting "models" and for this photo shoot I had a few limitations (single light, no backdrop). I had a very hard time trying to get my settings right and trying to direct them at the same time. I didn't realize how hard it is to pose people and keep them loose and smiling. These were taken with a single off camera flash at about 30 degrees, D90 with SB700. Shot in my garage with dark wooden door as backdrop.

Let me know what I can do to improve these shots and to do better for next time. Thanks.

1. Using a home-made snoot

DSC_0879.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0927.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0887.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

4. I know, I cut off her hand.

DSC_0902.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

These are more personal opinions then critiques. I find the angling in #1 awkward. I think he should be little lower looking up rather then eye level with her belly. #2 & #4 look kind of odd because with the clothing and poses it's like she's trying to look sexy. It's says more sexy model who happens to be pregnant rather then maternity.I think #3 wouldve looked nicer from a different angle rather then dead on. But again, more personal opinions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I've got a lot to learn.

I think you did well for a first try though! And really don't take what I said too seriously. I don't know much at all about people portraits I was just stating what stuck out to me. If someone with more experience says something completely different then what I have to say, by all means go by them.

#1 Does it for me!

My Thoughts:

#1 - This is your best shot! With what you had to work with, I think this image shows you can make the best of it. I love the high contrast, and think that his expression is nice and natural.

#2 - The light is nice in this one, but I don't really like her her pose. She looks like a teenager trying to be hip.

#3 - This one is too dark and there are a few things that bother me. I find myself searching for her hands... where are they... oh behind her back. It just looks odd, like they are missing or something and it distracts me. And makes me wonder... lol... what is she doing with her hand over there??? Sorry, if I think it someone else is bound to think it also. I also don't like how she is looking at the camera and he isn't. They should both look, or neither of them should.

#4 - This is my 2nd favorite. The lighting is pretty good. I just wish she didn't have her hand on her hip... why not on her stomach?

In all these photos I see the connection between dad and baby, but not mom & baby.

Keep shooting!

My Thoughts:

#1 - This is your best shot! With what you had to work with, I think this image shows you can make the best of it. I love the high contrast, and think that his expression is nice and natural.

#2 - The light is nice in this one, but I don't really like her her pose. She looks like a teenager trying to be hip.

#3 - This one is too dark and there are a few things that bother me. I find myself searching for her hands... where are they... oh behind her back. It just looks odd, like they are missing or something and it distracts me. And makes me wonder... lol... what is she doing with her hand over there??? Sorry, if I think it someone else is bound to think it also. I also don't like how she is looking at the camera and he isn't. They should both look, or neither of them should.

#4 - This is my 2nd favorite. The lighting is pretty good. I just wish she didn't have her hand on her hip... why not on her stomach?

In all these photos I see the connection between dad and baby, but not mom & baby.

Keep shooting!

Thanks. I think both mom and I had a hard time relaxing, whereas dad was quite at ease. But, just like my two year olds, I had a really hard time getting them both looking at the camera.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with these shots, but I think you nailed it in saying that they don't show the connection between mom and baby. I have to study some poses and see how to do that better.

I hate pregnancy pictures, but #1 at least made me laugh. It is sorta classy in a garish sort of way. Interesting.

In general, I think they would be regarded as far too dark for a "happy moment", with the exception of 1, which clearly works. I think many of them are actually outright underexposed.

I dunno... as I say, I hate pics like this, so hard to judge.

But again... 1... neat.

GREAT JOB, DESI! think you utilized what you had wonderful! I like number one the best too!!!!!!!!! In fact, I ADORE IT!!!!!!!! I think you did great! I am sooo not the expert but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more light in number two or maybe a softer look.

Thank you all for your comments. This shoot has really taught me a lot. I spent many hours on lightroom removing the orange cast on her and lightening it up (they were all on the underexposed side). When I tried to do it via flash, I got too much reflection on the belly, but I erred on the underexposed side. The "big picture" of dark mood and missing the connection between mom and child I had initially missed altogether. I'm still too focused on the technical and have a hard time with the artistic and emotional.

GREAT JOB, DESI! think you utilized what you had wonderful! I like number one the best too!!!!!!!!! In fact, I ADORE IT!!!!!!!! I think you did great! I am sooo not the expert but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more light in number two or maybe a softer look.

Thanks!!

Thank you all for your comments. This shoot has really taught me a lot. I spent many hours on lightroom removing the orange cast on her and lightening it up (they were all on the underexposed side). When I tried to do it via flash, I got too much reflection on the belly, but I erred on the underexposed side. The "big picture" of dark mood and missing the connection between mom and child I had initially missed altogether. I'm still too focused on the technical and have a hard time with the artistic and emotional.

Does your camera shoot RAW? You may want to try that next time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back