Preparation for the Cruise of a lifetime: The Last Frontier

Remember that the RAW images willo consume a lot of memory on you camera cards.

Have you considered the Sigma 8-16? 8 vs 11 is a huge difference. 8-16 is the equivalent of a 12-24 for FX. See some comparisons. All the reviews I've read of this lens are very positive. It is not a constant 2.8 aperture like the 11-16, but when will you be shooting with a short depth of field when shooting landscapes?

I have a Sigma 70-200/2.8 with a 1.4x and love the lens so far. So much so that I'm getting a Sigma 8-16 and Sigma 17-50 and down the road Sigma 180 Macro. I used to have a Nikon 70-300 and Nikon 50/1.8. I liked them as my first lenses.

I'm also planning a cruise to Alaska this summer.

Thanks for bringing that up. The sigma 8-16 looks nice and actually the new price looks the same as the tokina. Although used prices go to the tokina (from a quick amazon search). I would not be shooting 2.8 on landscapes but shoot a lot of different things and like using a large aperture thus think I would have to stick with the 11-16 for the constant aperture. Just personal preference and it does seem like the sigma 8-16 is a solid lens from the reviews I read.

You'll love it; however, I would highly advise returning on your own. A cruise is no way to view a place so spectacular. I have taken two separate month-long camping trips there and I haven't even scratched the surface. Cruises are designed for people who like to eat and buy souvenirs.

You'll love it; however, I would highly advise returning on your own. A cruise is no way to view a place so spectacular. I have taken two separate month-long camping trips there and I haven't even scratched the surface. Cruises are designed for people who like to eat and buy souvenirs.

I cannot wait. I agree, I will definitely return. The reason for a cruise is because my whole family is going, so its more a vacation so to speak than a 'photo excursion.'

Nikon 16-85 acquired! It is definitely a great replacement for my previous kit lens. Very sharp.

Next up on the list... tokina 11-16, the lens I have been craving for many years..

Great choices, both of them! Unless you think you'll see a bunch of wildlife, that's all you'll really need for the trip, I'd say.

Mark

Thanks. I am quite excited.

Also my internal sensor on my D300 is dirty. I have dealt with it in the past, just cloning if it anything of the specks show up on the photos. But perhaps I should get this cleaned for the trip. I do have a 'rocket blaster' that I can pump air into the sensor with but that does not help. Should I take it to a local shop (if there are any) and have them clean it? I have never done this before, how much does it typically run??

Tokina 11-16 acquired! Stoked.

next step is a CPL filter.. and clean my sensor I think..

trip is coming up; cant wait!

EDIT: CPL filter acquired. A quality B+W one. Also got a remote trigger for family portraits on the trip.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back