Preparing for a Newborn Shoot...

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Well, my maternity shoot has come and gone, and mom-to-be gave birth sooner than expected. She was happy with the maternity shots, and would like to have me do some newborn photos.

Timing and schedules have made things difficult, and I'll be doing the photos on the 5th of November... baby will be about 3 weeks old.

I have shot (err... photographed) my newborn before... but that's the extent of my experience. I'm looking for suggestions. The shoot will be indoors... Not knowing the quality of light ahead of time, I'll be bringing a reflector, and my flash to bounce (I've reviewed the threads and get that direct flash is a big no-no).

Any other suggestions? I'm hoping baby is cooperative, but realize this may be a patience game. Would love to hear pose suggestions, lighting tips, anything you may think is relevant.

Thanks Everyone!

Oh, apologies for the "...'s" - I tend to get carried away there. :)

Usually, when shooting soft little babies...you want soft light. To make light soft, the light source has to be big and/or close to the subject. That's why bouncing your flash is so much better than shooting it directly. The size of the source changes from a couple inches to practically the whole ceiling or wall that you are bouncing off of. So a good tip is to not always be bouncing off of the ceiling, try bouncing off of a wall to get nice directional lighting.

Of if you have a large window, that can make for some really nice lighting. Just try to not mix your lighting types (so don't shoot with flash if you are also using indoor lighting or window lighting). Although, if you are going to convert the photos to black & white, the different colored light sources won't be an issue.

Newborns don't do much, so they can be easy (or very hard) to shoot. I think a big thing you can do, is make sure your 'set' will make for nice photos. So make sure your background or whatever you have them on, isn't busy or distracting.

if you want to use flash and indoor lighting you can gel the flash to make it the same color temperture as the indoor lighting.

Any suggestions at all on what I should "rest" the baby on? I don't have a bean bag, and I'm looking to work with something that may already be in the house.

Thanks for the help so far!

I have never shot a baby before... but sounds like a good gig... Does it cost more to shot a newborn then a child of age?

Sorry I have nothing really to add, but I just wanted to type the first sentence cause it looks mean and yet funny.. :) LMAO

Honestly I have used a boppy pillow rolled blankets. A phonebook wrapped in a blanket. Use mom and dads hands and arms. Put them in a basket or on a chair....

a boppy can work nicely. Mom's legs with the blanket/backdrop draped to cover her. a pillow on the floor. Work on the floor-it's just plain easier and less scary.

Teheheheh my area of work!!! well my up-coming area I'm still new...

so most moms will prob breast feed so that u shape feeding pillow works great cover it in fur or soft blaket i did my last sons newborn shots on my coutch in front of the big window "beautiful pictures" if you can use a large chair or couch then drape the blanket right up the back and of chorse the family will have towels in the house just roll them and tuck them under the front of the blanket and prop the baby up on it you can place the babys hands under its chin/cheeks or cross its arms if you have photo shop you can do composed pictures for babys safety but # keep mom or dad or both as spotters and close to baby and their eyes dont come off baby untill pose change rememebr to capture all the little things lips eyes fingers and nails toes feet if mom and dad want to be included then you will have a blast use them as a size insterments place babys feet in their hands wedding rings on babys toes or in babys hands anything that is of value to the baby "hand made blanket hats ect. cute suits" include them too but most of all you will have fun.

also google newborn baby poses you will get lots of ideas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back