Prices

Tatiana_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I don’t follow sale prices closely. But I got an email today from BHPhotovideo. They’re having a good sale on canon (from what I’ve seen). Are there prices that can be even better during black Friday or Christmas? Or is this as good as it gets? Is Canon coming out with new cameras soon so they’re clearing out??
Any input is appreciated!!

I can't speak for BH or others but this is probably driven by Canon, as I got one from a local store with the same savings.

As we haven't seen any teasers or rumors about black friday sales, it's hard to tell if there will be better deals. The only new camera that is being rumored at this point is the 1Dx Mark III and that is still probably 6+ months away. But I have been seeing the prices on used 1Dx and the 1Dx Mark II's come down some recently.

Not sure where you are. In UK I look at London camera exchange and map photography and amazon to get an idea on prices
Hope this helps.
Post script I have no attachment to above nor am I advertising for them just suggestion a reference point in reply to the question

Canon direct used is a great place for good buys. Black Friday usually has good deals but only if Canon allows for it really. Canon controls pricing for their products tightly imo.

I’m in the US.

So I don’t follow sale prices closely. But I got an email today from BHPhotovideo. They’re having a good sale on canon (from what I’ve seen). Are there prices that can be even better during black Friday or Christmas? Or is this as good as it gets? Is Canon coming out with new cameras soon so they’re clearing out??
Any input is appreciated!!
Remember that a when you call to talk with B&H, that they are a Jewish company, so references to Christian holidays may fall on unresponsive ears. Plus, they close on Jewish holidays.

My methodology is to decide on the camera that I want, check prices in a few places, and just order one. Yes, you might miss out on a few extra percentage points, but getting the one you want when it's on sale is worth not having to wait in anguish for a slightly lower price (which may never happen).

If your budget is tight, would you consider buying a clean used unit?

I shop B&H all the time. I have seen some good deals on Black Friday, but they are not necessarily the best prices they will run. My suggestion is to decide on what price point you are willing to buy at and if it hits, pull the trigger. I don't think you will do any better in the long run by chasing prices.

BF sales are only good if you're looking bad deal on a camera that's already two-to-three iterations old.

BF is a way for Best Buy and Walmart to get rid of their new old stock when it comes to deals on cameras.

All camera prices are heavily regulated by the manufacture, and if there's a sale at BH, then it's also on sale everywhere else.

That camera market is crazy and silly. e.g., they never make older cameras less expensive, they just sell it for the same price then sell the new model for more money...

in 2015, I bought the Sony A6000 for $628 shipped. Today it's still $550. Despite being just shy on 6 years old. Today, Sony still sells the a6000, a6100, a6300, a6400, a6500, and a6600 -- going all the way up to $1,400.

There's little difference between some of the models, just some advancements in software.

Last edited:
BF sales are only good if you're looking bad deal on a camera that's already two-to-three iterations old.

BF is a way for Best Buy and Walmart to get rid of their new old stock when it comes to deals on cameras.

All camera prices are heavily regulated by the manufacture, and if there's a sale at BH, then it's also on sale everywhere else.

That camera market is crazy and silly. e.g., they never make older cameras less expensive, they just sell it for the same price then sell the new model for more money...

in 2015, I bought the Sony A6000 for $628 shipped. Today it's still $550. Despite being just shy on 6 years old. Today, Sony still sells the a6000, a6100, a6300, a6400, a6500, and a6600 -- going all the way up to $1,400.

There's little difference between some of the models, just some advancements in software.

In general you are correct, but as others have said, Canon seems to keep a firm grip on the pricing of their products.

Ok thanks everyone. I have been watching them for a bit, they have been 100 $ off. But now they are 400 off. Probably best ever

Few thoughts.
B&H, Adorama and Amazon are leading stores in the USA and if you find retailers offering significantly cheaper prices be cautious.
1) They might be scams/bait and switch. Ergo totally fake and just out to steal your money. Avoid any retailer that has "call to confirm after placing an order" because that's pretty much only used by bait and switch stores*

2) They might be grey imports. Grey importing is not illegal but it can come with issues. Canon isn't too bad, but Nikon, for example, will not even repair cameras sold in a different region. So the only way to get a repair is to send it back to its region of origin. Warranties are regionally locked for all the firms - some of the bigger grey importers (like Digital Rev) will offer their own warranty service.

Note if you're in the UK check out Camera Price Buster - it lists out the prices for a huge range of camera gear from loads of the leading retailers. It's also got historical info so you can track past prices on products which can be handy.
Camera Price Buster - Compare UK Stock Prices
Note as its not an official service by those retailers the updated prices might not always be correct if they've just changed. So do double check.

*The product is super cheap, but when you get called up they tell you that things like the battery or charger are not included and basically hard sell you to "upgrade" and buy addons. If you jump through the hoops and pay then you've played their game and there's a reasonable chance you'll get the camera. This generates positive reviews for the bait and switch stores. If you don't jump through the hoops anything might happen. Normally they'll either cancel your order outright or just string you along and never ship it.

Basically the camera market doesn't have a huge amount of wriggling room to lower prices. So bait and switch stores can't offer their super low prices without taking a loss. So if you jump through the hoops you basically end up spending as much as at a regular store (or sometimes even more).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back