Pricing My Photography

Hey, hoofbeats, welcome!

I suggest that you print off several more (using your own printer to save money) and take them along. Show everything. As for pricing the mounted and framed prints, add up the cost of everything, add in some for your time, double it, and put the price on it as framed. You might not sell any of those, but you should be able to sell the unframed ones because they will be priced lower. People tend to want to pick out their own mats and frames.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people prefer to buy non framed images. That way they can put it in a frame that matches the decor in their house. Many photographers sell more images that are only matted then they sell framed work. Not including a frame can cut costs quite a bit.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people prefer to buy non framed images. That way they can put it in a frame that matches the decor in their house. Many photographers sell more images that are only matted then they sell framed work. Not including a frame can cut costs quite a bit.

Frames and matts should compliment the art, not the room.

Frames and matts should compliment the art, not the room.

I agree but obviously a lot of people still like to buy unframed images. Some people just like having matching frames.

Last edited:
You asked about changes to make your pictures sell. One suggestion is to consider each picture and ask yourself if anybody with a camera could take the same picture of the same quality. Unfortunately at this point in your learning curve your photos fit the definition of snapshots. Anybody with a camera that walked up to those scenes would snap the same shot.
Spend time learning the art skills of composition and the photography skills of capturing light and colors. Combine those skills and perhaps you can sell your work. If you just want to learn the photography skills there are still places for photojournalists, real estate photographers and others that document life through photography.

I think you have learned a valuable lesson here. I won't bash the quality of your work as it is well exposed and framed, it is just the content that is the downfall and spending that amount of money hoping to make it all back may very well be an unrealistic hope. Anyone can go online and find the same and better images that they can download for free, get printed for a few dollars, buy a $10 frame with a matt and hang it on the wall. This is a reality.

Just keep practicing, go out and shoot at different times of the day, early morning or dusk when the light is more dramatic.

Did you save the receipt for those expensive frames? Maybe you can return them.

In my area at county and state fairs there are competitions and displays but what's exhibited hasn't usually been for sale. At other types of craft fairs and art shows the pricing seems to vary.

Usually what I've seen are people displaying maybe a few (at most) framed prints, and mostly having matted prints for sale. I've submitted to juried art exhibits and usually price within the range of pricing for that particular show or gallery. You could look at American Society of Media Photographers for guidelines on pricing or try PPA.

Other than the tower (which is the one I find most interesting) the photos seem to show potential but to me seem more beginner or entry level for a photographer. You may have a ways to go before you'd have success at selling photos especially in an era of photos being so readily available online.

Maybe you could consider where else you might be able to try to sell photos as your skill level increases; sometimes coffee shops or local craft shops will allow artists to display or consign their work (but I wouldn't count on it as a consistent source of income).

I would like to add that you should try lots of different styles of photography and see what floats your boat. I love desert landscapes but virtually no one else does so from a commercial perspective it is a non starter but thats OK because the pictures are for me and I dont intend selling them.

Have a go at Landscape, street, macro, portrait, architecture, sports, wildlife and everything in between. You will eventually find what really interests you and then you can develop a style that defines you from other photographers.

Well, the common thread here is that, while the composition, etc. of the photos is acceptable for the most part, the content is the detractor. I'm a newb to photography myself and feel like I might understand a little bit where you're at. If you're anything like me, the fact that you can go out and take crystal clear photos and then process them to make them "pop" is very exciting and can make even the most mundane of subjects exciting. I've been let down countless times by showing a photo that I absolutely LOVED but no one I showed it to gave it any more than a token glance. I didn't understand until I read a blurb from Zack Arias about it...I'll summarize.

Early in his photographic journey, he was helping run the slide projector at a bunch of photography competitions. He noticed that COUNTLESS amazing shots were quickly passed over by the judges. Shots like a burning building with firefighters silhouetted on and in it with smoke billowing out of doors and windows...gritty, amazing, high quality shots basically ignored! Over the years he realized why that occurred....that shot is overdone. Anyone with a camera can get that (and they have) MILLIONS of times...

Basically, if you want to sell your photos, shoot something no one else has. Or shoot a familiar subject differently than anyone else has...The concept is simple, the execution is difficult. But the journey is all part of the fun!

Most reactions

Back