Pricing question

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a family photo shoot coming up and I am trying to figure out if this is good for pricing or not. She has already told me that she doesn't mind paying a little more for photos because they are worth it, which is awesome. I am just not sure if these prices are too steep for my current skill level. I am still a beginner, I don't have a ton of experience, but I do have some. I have good equipment for the shoot.

This will be a 2 hour shoot, maybe a little more, of 3 kids, 2 parents, and then the kids individually and the mom individually. All photos will be shot outdoors in their yard.

This is what I was thinking for packages and prices. The last time she got family photos done she paid $1000.

Package 1: $250
2 8x10s
1 10x13
6 5x7s
10 4x6
24 wallets

Package 2: $300
CD w/ 25 images
1 10x13
2 8x10s
2 5x7s
16 wallets

Package 3: $350
CD w/30 images
1 10x13
2 8x10
2 5x7s
16 wallets

Package 4: $400
CD w/ all images
1 16x20
1 10x13
2 8x10s framed
4 5x7s
16 wallets

Does that seem like too much, too little, or just right? The kids are ages 9-14 so they won't be a hassle, she wants a few formal poses but mostly fun family ones such as the kids playing on the trampoline and such.

kind of difficult to assess w/o knowing/seeing your work. If it is as good as sears, I'd say your charging TOO MUCH :)

Pricing has to be considered relative to what it costs you to do business.

You price has to cover your non-reimbursed business expenses, your slalary and retirement contributions, and your cost to produce the goods you sell.

Setting your prices any other way makes it impossible to know if you are actually making money or not.

To do a 2 hour shoot you will do at least 4 hours of work and it should be more like 6 hours.

In addition to what has been said so far, I have a question. The CD's you are offering in your packages, will they have the files at their full resolution?

If so, I would seriously reconsider your package prices. Or offer the CD seperately from your packages. You have to consider that if somebody gets a CD of their images they have no reason whatsoever to buy any prints of the images. They've got it at full resolution, they can do whatever they please. It's like going to an artist and telling them you want to buy their original artwork so you can reproduce it whenever and however you want.

I like to give my clients a photo CD with their pictures ALL sized down for internet sharing resolution, and I don't charge anything for that. But if they want the full resolution digital file, it is the most expensive thing I offer. Many photographers don't even offer the option to purchase these files at all, let alone at such an inexpensive price. I've seen people offer CD's of 20 pictures for nearly $5,000 =O But the more I think about it, the more I understand why they do this- especially if they are established and trying to make a living from their work.

Also, do you charge a session fee? Do you offer any "freebies" as thank you for the buisiness such as free prints or discounts? I think your packages look alright, except for the photo CD part, if they really are full resolution files.

In addition to what has been said so far, I have a question. The CD's you are offering in your packages, will they have the files at their full resolution?

If so, I would seriously reconsider your package prices. Or offer the CD seperately from your packages. You have to consider that if somebody gets a CD of their images they have no reason whatsoever to buy any prints of the images. They've got it at full resolution, they can do whatever they please. It's like going to an artist and telling them you want to buy their original artwork so you can reproduce it whenever and however you want.

I like to give my clients a photo CD with their pictures ALL sized down for internet sharing resolution, and I don't charge anything for that. But if they want the full resolution digital file, it is the most expensive thing I offer. Many photographers don't even offer the option to purchase these files at all, let alone at such an inexpensive price. I've seen people offer CD's of 20 pictures for nearly $5,000 =O But the more I think about it, the more I understand why they do this- especially if they are established and trying to make a living from their work.

Also, do you charge a session fee? Do you offer any "freebies" as thank you for the buisiness such as free prints or discounts? I think your packages look alright, except for the photo CD part, if they really are full resolution files.

They are not full resolution files and I made sure I let her know that. This is only my fourth family/portrait shoot that I have been paid for (Outside of working for Sears of course)

And no, they won't come out like Sears. Lol.

She went with the $350 package! She doesn't want the prints though so I am going to throw a few high res files on the disc for her. Can't wait! Shoot is June 5th

Price is a function of marketing. If you have a ton of clients then you can start raising your rates. If you don't have any business, lower your rates and start marketing like crazy until you get people calling.

Without seeing your work, it's hard to say if that is a good price, but whether it is or isn't, you should think of it as a starting point and be constantly marketing to get more people calling and build up the ability to charge more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back