Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Candid photo from a pride parade last year.

Backstory:
Happened to be in the city while Pride was going on and a few friends and I had plans to meet up at a restaurant that happened to be in the middle of where the parade was taking place. I decided to take my camera with me just in case and happened to get this lucky shot as we were rushing to get to the restaurant in time.

Canon T4i, 50mm f/1.8 II.

Constructive criticism is very much appreciated.

prideparade__sarahjanephotography.jpg

Colors are nice.
Do you use creative filters by chance?

Colors are nice.
Do you use creative filters by chance?

Thank you.
I don't use creative filters. All of my editing comes from a combination of presets in Lightroom, and/or general fixes through there and Camera Raw.

It looks too warm and low contrast to me. Interestingly, the version on your instagram is not like that and looks more "correct" in terms of color and contrast.

I saw the Clarendon filter when I went to post and played around with it. I suppose it is a little too warm. Thank you so much for the feedback.

When I looked at the instagram I saw the hornet.. NICE photo!
I was wondering about the creative contrasts because it looked a bit de-saturated.

I am assuming you like to play with LR and whatever to get what you like.

In Camera Raw temp to -13 or so, tint to -8 or so and black point so the histogram touches the left side makes it look "right" to me.

If you're going to ask for C&C a lot, it's useful to set your profile to OK to Edit.

That looks a lot better, thank you. And done.

When I looked at the instagram I saw the hornet.. NICE photo!
I was wondering about the creative contrasts because it looked a bit de-saturated.

I am assuming you like to play with LR and whatever to get what you like.

Thank you! :) You're right about Lightroom (and Photoshop too).
I play around with different presets, tweak them a bit or just start from scratch and try to figure out what looks good when it comes to each photo.
I'm in a bit of a rut now and I feel like nothing really looks right, and I don't know if that's me being a perfectionist, such as the photo itself not being up to par to begin with, or my editing really isn't as good as it could be.

I second the RAW side of things.

Alot of times I go Au-natural. leave it alone in most cases unless there is a specific issue.

The filters are a blessing in some cases but a curse in others.

I studied years ago how color works and how it reflects in diff. environments. You may discover that rural v. urban shots that the urban shots will have various tint changes that simply occur especially in a digi-cam.
Alot of the UV light seen can cause color changes in how it is recorded. Once you see the tint, filters start to make sense. but only to a degree.

Looks good to me. Definitely not too warm (viewing on a color calibrated retina display).

I like your Instagram acct.'s crop a bit more. Good shot.

Candid photo from a pride parade last year.

Backstory:
Happened to be in the city while Pride was going on and a few friends and I had plans to meet up at a restaurant that happened to be in the middle of where the parade was taking place. I decided to take my camera with me just in case and happened to get this lucky shot as we were rushing to get to the restaurant in time.

Canon T4i, 50mm f/1.8 II.

Constructive criticism is very much appreciated.

View attachment 173323

Not a bad shot actually colors look slightly dull could be the day though doesn't look very bright.

Not a bad shot actually colors look slightly dull could be the day though doesn't look very bright.

It was overcast and I ended up underexposing it by a lot by accident. I always shoot RAW + manual and didn't factor in the changes in lighting when I took it.
The skin tones seemed off to me and I tried to salvage it the best I could in post but perhaps I should look at some more tutorials that could help me in the meantime.

I really do appreciate all of your comments.

:02.47-tranquillity:

IMO, a haze filter or polorizer would be in order if not already used.

I like the shot, very nicely spotted, but the processing reminds me of photos from the 80’s.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back