Prime Lens

Bubbles22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been loving my 50mm AF-S f/1.8 for my D3100 but I was looking for something else. I love being able to blur the background and I was really wishing I would have bought the f/1.4 but I didn't. I basically just take pictures of my family. I would really like the 85mm af-s f/1.4 but it is 1500.00. Does anyone have this lens. Is it worth it. Has anyone bought from a different company and had a good experience?
When taking shots indoor I was also looking at the 35mm af-s f/1.4? Same question, do you have it and love it? Have you bought from a competitor?

Thanks

I'd check out the new 85mm 1.8G. Its about a 1/3 of the price. You're not really going to use the 1.4 on people anyway, the DOF is too shallow and will be hard to nail.

I don't know what "bought from a competitor" means.

Oh, I don't know about that. I know they both have good glass, but i'll be honest I tend to stick to Nikkor just because I don't want to dig through all the comparisons and stuff. And the competitors are sometimes priced around the same.

I think you just need to experiment with your settings. Someone will be along to give you better info though :). I think there was a post recently about there being little difference between the two lenses (I could be wrong on that) Edit: the 50 1.8 vs 50 1.4

I love my 50mm f/1.8 I guess I just have been reading a lot that the lowest f-stop on these lens usually isn't the sweet spot so if I had the 1.4 I could go a little farther. Does this make sense or am I totally crazy? I have been shooting in manual for about six months so I'm not sure what you mean by adjusting my settings. If you mean just adjusting my aperture I do this with every shot I take. :)

Makes sense, but I don't *think* you even get a full stop, its only like, 2/3 stop. So you'd still end up shooting at 5.6 or whatever. You could always get a hotshoe flash if lighting is your issue :D

I love my nikkor 85mm f1.4, but have been having serious thoughts of selling it and doing some other lens swapping;). I'm usually bouncing my flash indoors at f2.8 anyways and it does not auto-focus very well under f2.8(on my d90).

It's bokeh is fantastic though because of it's 9 rounded diaphragm blades close to f8.

I"m not sure off hand how many blades the 85mm f1.8G has.

Adjusting the aperture is what I was thinking. I can blur backgrounds with my slow kit lenses but probably not to the extent you can with a 1.8 or 1.4. I was just thinking there wouldn't be that much difference between the two as far as blurring the background. Disclaimer: Don't mind me I'm a noob and have no experience with either lens :)

Adjusting the aperture is what I was thinking. I can blur backgrounds with my slow kit lenses but probably not to the extent you can with a 1.8 or 1.4. I was just thinking there wouldn't be that much difference between the two as far as blurring the background. Disclaimer: I'm a noob and have no experience with either lens :)

It's not the actual blurring, but how each lens renders the OOF blurring.

The lens I use most are zooms with 3.5 tops. I use a off camera flash if I need it. Now I have never sold or been published:^) But I have been doing this since 1968. Your mileage may vary.
David

A 35mm 1.4 is my favorite indoor lens. I use a Zeiss, not Nikon, but I've heard great things about the Nikon. (It also autofocuses, and the Zeiss doesn't) In low light, I often find myself shooting portraits at 35/1.4. Yes, the DOF is shallow, but you can just put some distance between you and your subject if you need it a little deeper. One of the reasons I like the Zeiss is that it's still quite sharp wide open, I'm not sure how the Nikkor 35 1.4G compares, but I really have heard nothing but good things about it.

At 85, the Sigma 1.4 gets a lot of praise as well, and it is a little less expensive than the Nikon version.

Once you start getting into really fast primes, the law of diminishing returns starts to take effect. Each 1/3 stop more light, and each subtle correction against aberration costs more and more. Where to draw the line is up to you though, there is no "best choice", and whether or not a $1500 lens is "worth it" is totally subjective.

Waiting for the new 85 mm f/1.8G Nikkor is good advice. For wider lenses consider the Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 (which only covers DX). I have one of those and it isn't a bad lens.

Good luck,
Helen

I just mean from a different company that isn't Nikon such as Tokina or Sigma.
[h=3][/h]

The Nikon 85mm f1.8 is a nice way to go if you want a cheap solution with AF. Now if you dont mind manual focus you could pick up a rokinon 85mm f1.4 for about $300 with a focusing chip for nikon. Good solid lens with great sharpness and good color.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back