print quality

frisko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a samsung syncmaster 710T lcd monitor.. I can't for the life of me get the pictures to come out as crisp and vivid as it looks on this monitor.. My printer is the canon pixma pro 9000 mark II.. I have been pulling my hair out and can't figure it out.. This monitor came out in 2004.. I have a nikon d70 slr camera.. I almost think it has to do with some kind of settings that i am over looking,, Any ideas I will try anything.
Paulina

What size are the pictures you are printing? A6? A4?
What is the size in pixels of the image you are trying to print?

What size are the pictures you are printing? A6? A4?
What is the size in pixels of the image you are trying to print?
I am printing the 4x6 size and the images are the biggest pixels available to my camera which is the nikon d70.

post a picture that you are having problems with.
there are instructions on posting in a sticky at the top of the beginners forum here
and tell the camera settings that you used

Is it set so Photoshop or the printer manages color? I have a Canon Pixma and the default was set for the printer to manage color; when I changed the setting for Photoshop to manage color then I had better control and could get photos printed that looked the same as onscreen. Sometimes it prints images somewhat darker if the photos were taken in shade or low light, so at times I lighten an image for printing as necessary.

Most important point to this discussion I think is that you will NEVER get a print to look exactly like the image on your screen, but you can come close with most images. It has to do with the fact that the image on your screen is seen by your eyes by transmitted light, whereas your print is light reflected from dyes on paper - and with reflection, comes loss (I mean photographically, but I guess the same applies philosophically ;) )

I had a canon I960 for the longest time and what frustrated me was not being able to override the printer driver and "let photoshop determine colours" (a setting now called "photoshop manags colours" in the print dialogue box that lets the software ovveride the printer's deepest desires). I could print most images relatively well (though a little flat) but anything that was a little out of the ordinary in terms of contrast or chroma just looked awful...

I am going to check out those tutorials KmH posted - they look pretty informative. I am sure they cover in greater detail what the posts above have suggested: that if you calibrate your monitor, let photoshop determine/manage colours, use icc profiles for paper and ink and integrate PS's soft proof into your workflow you'll get as close as you ever will to what you see on screen.

Good Luck!

Soft proofing adjusts the displayed image to approximate what the print will look like.

To do so, you need the ICC profile for the device/paper that will make the print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back