Print sizing/ Borders?

B Kennedy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for some advice on print sizes. Is it common to print with a white border around the pictures say 1/4" for ease of client's framing and not having to cut into the picture? I know when I print my landscapes to be framed I make sure that the entire photo is in view (so I print with a border). The only thing that sucks about that though is that then I can't print a 5x7 on a 5x7 paper, which means now im measuring/cutting to get that border. Anyone else deal with this? Thanks

When you frame you should certainly assume you'll lose a bit to the edges. (unless you buy the all glass frames that I like to buy)

That being said, if you have important things that close to the border you may want to be a bit less aggressive on your initial crops ... regardless of frame intention.

So then its safe to say that you print to the full picture size with the intention that when they are framed they will lose a bit of the image?

I do, yes, and I am usually not concerned about what I will lose because it tends to be negligable and has no real effect on the image.

'... for ease of client's framing ...'

This seems to be the operative phrase. If the client will be using a commercially-available matte, you have your answer: printed area dim's [l & w] should be about 1/4" larger than the matte opening.

Essentially all mats assume you will cut off about 1/8 inch on each side, so that the visible area is 1/4 inch less in each direction. If your photo has essential details within 1/8 inch of the edge, you may have other issues to deal with. :) Printing a white border can actually cause trouble, because the border may be visible if you don't position the mat precisely correctly.

Great comments, thanks guys. And i think I will just print to the actual size from now on minus the border, except if I'm matting them myself.

Most reactions

Back