Printing Issues :(

amg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone
So still attempting to get the basics of photography down.....
I ordered in some prints of my kids that I took (4x6, 5x7, and a couple 8x10s) and I have no clue what I did. I got my prints some turned out fine but some of them have 2 white borders on either side ex top and bottom.... The lady tried to very paitently explain it to me but I still dont under stand what she was trying to tell me something about the resolution and print size being different and having to crop it to adjust it..... I dont know what this means can someone explain it to me. All I know is when I get my disk from my professional photographer that I hire to take pics of my kids (yes she is amazing and I treasure my photos from her and print them really big) I am able to print them any size I like and never run into this problem how do I make my photos do the same I will never be printing mine past a 8x10 unless I get something crazy amazing and then I am sure I will be asking for help yet again if that time ever comes.
Thank you everyone :)

4x6 is more rectangular than 5x7 is, and 5x7 is more rectangular than 8x10 is.

It's called the 'Aspect Ratio' of the rectangles. The ratio is realtive to the length of the sides of the rectangle.

4x6 is a 2:3 aspect ratio, 5x7 is a 5:7 aspect ratio, and an 8x10 is a 4:5 aspect ratio.

most DSLR cameras make photos that have the 2;3 ratio, but most P$S cameras make photos that have a 3:4 ratio which is much closer to being a square, which is a 1:1 aspect ratio.

So if you have a 2:3 image and want a 5:7 or 4:5 ratio print, the 2:3 photo will have to be cropped.

AspectRatio.png

AspectRatioChartv2.png

Ok how do I tell what the ratio is on my picture..... I am sorry this is very confusing to me. I never had this problem with my point and shoot I just brought my memory card in and printed it..... I bought a dlsr so I could get better pictures of my kids cause lets face it point and shoots just dont give you the same results..... But now I cant even print a picture lol yup I am going to be bald by the time I figure this camera out ;)

As mentioned, most DSLR cameras with give you 2:3 ratio images...just like 35mm film. Works out perfect for a 4x6 print.

Usually, when you have photos printed (sent or brought into a lab), the cropping is done when you enter/confirm the print. If you choose a different size (say 5x7 or 8x10), then the software will usually show you the crop for the new size and give you the option to move the image around. If that option is not available, then the default would be to just crop it equally on two sides.

If you don't want any of the image lost/cropped, then you could have it printed with blank/white space on the sides instead...but that's not the norm. If that is what you got back from the lab (but not what you were expecting) then there was probably a miscommunication somewhere along the line.

So where did you get them printed? You're in B.C. so I'd suggest you go into a London Drugs. They usually have a well trained photo manager/staff who should be able to help you out to get the prints that you want.

In your camera specifications it will show the pixel dimensions of the photos it makes.

A typical DSLR specification is - 4928 x 3264 pixels (Nikon D7000). Divide 4928 by 3264, and you get 1.5, The 2:3 ratio is also 1.5 - 3 divided by 2 = 1.5

I mentioned most P$S cameras deliver a 3:4 ratio - 4 divided by 3 = 1.33.

Math is useful in so many ways on a daily basis.

Sometimes also on the print options there is a checkbox for 'borderless printing'. The computer will essentially crop out enough material all the way around the picture until 100% of the print fills the paper.

Then you don't have any of the white borders, but you WILL lose a small % of the picture.

I went to photoexpert..... I think I am beginning to understand..... I guess the trick is to not have anything important close to the edges cause you can lose these when you print..... Nothing can be done about it ;) So my next question would be when I crop my picture in lightroom etc does that change the ratio or does it always stay the same????....Correct me if I am wrong please but when I crop it does change resolution????

I went to photoexpert..... I think I am beginning to understand..... I guess the trick is to not have anything important close to the edges cause you can lose these when you print..... Nothing can be done about it ;) So my next question would be when I crop my picture in lightroom etc does that change the ratio or does it always stay the same????....Correct me if I am wrong please but when I crop it does change resolution????

It shouldn't change resolution, but it will change the ratio depending upon how you crop it. If you crop it to a perfect square, you WILL lose some when you print, unless you are printing on perfect square paper. 5x7 isn't square.

Ok so it all is coming together I am changing the ratio when I am cropping them So best solution would be get the shot right so I dont have to crop it??????

The best solution is to have an idea of how you are going to print and shoot with that in mind. If you are printing 8x10's, then you need to leave quite a bit of room on the long ends when shooting. 5x7's, a little less. 4x6, use the full frame.

Ok so it all is coming together I am changing the ratio when I am cropping them So best solution would be get the shot right so I dont have to crop it??????

Yes and no. You want to get the shot right so you can print it in the format you want. That usually means shooting a touch wide so you can crop to the size you want. Send the cropped photos then for printing.

The really expensive and best way.

1. Crop the picture in the view finder so as to use every pixel.
2. Have the full frame enlarged and mounted onto an 11 x 14 or 16 x 20 or 20 x 30 etc. piece of deluxe paper.
3. Go to a custom frame shop and pick out a frame and have it built at least one size bigger than the print.
4. Pick out a mat to go with the frame and print.
5. Come back 2 wks later and pick up something beautiful that will last for years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back