Printing large from a jpg

liquidmetaljesus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just had a hard drive crash,erasing all my .psd files. I'm lookin to get a large format printer, something in the 13x19 range. Would printing from a jpg yield noticibly worse results than from a much high resolution .psd/.tif? Thanks.

the .jpg resolution is typically between 11-1300x700x1000 in jpg format, where as the .psd resolution is 3-4,000x2-3000. I would typically resize the photo in photoshop to about 30% or so, then save as, save as a jpg, and the options I used are image quality 8-9, with the ticker about 75% up on the small file/large file line, Baseling (standard) selected and at 56.6kbps, if any of that makes sense

Would 11x14 be okay for those resolutions of jpgs?

And would the higher resolutions be okay for 13x19 anyway, really? None of my equipment can scan higher than that,, so itd be pointless to spend too much money on something I cant use.

Also the typical viewing distance of the picture to displayed is a major factor as well. There was a large print on display at a camera store several years ago when digital was relatively new. It was displayed high above eye level over a display case. The digital print looked beautiful up there. Up close... it didn't looks so nice but the print was large enough that the proper viewing distance was pretty far anyways.

Most reactions

Back