Printing on Canvas - Does it work?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a group family photo that I was thinking of getting printed out on canvas and framed for a gift. Has anybody done this before and how were the results? Are there better mediums for this?

Can anybody recommend a place that does this?

What size would work well for a framed and matted print on canvas?

Thanks!

jb

Last edited:
Any of the online labs print on canvas. Depends on the level of quality and size you want.

Thanks. I will look at this website. I guess 8x10 is what I was thinking.

I have also used Millers for wrapped canvas. Quality was pretty good but not as good as Marco

Any rough idea of cost at 8x10?

Canvas prints are very popular these days. I have a 50" x 30" on my livingroom wall.
Canvas-01.jpg

It's a 'Gallery Wrap', so the printed Canvas wraps around the frame and hangs directly on the wall.
Canvas-02.jpg

I sold one that was stretched/mounted and then framed, rather than gallery wrapped.

There are many, many labs/companies that can print on canvas for you.
My (pro) lab offers two different types of canvas prints.

'Fine Art Inkjet Canvas'
The specific canvas used in production is a polyester/cotton blend. The physical makeup of this canvas makes it less susceptible to changes in environmental conditions such as humidity and temperature levels. As such, this canvas will inherently stay extremely tight under a wide range of display conditions. This canvas provides a consistent and smooth surface that allows for incredibly wide color gamut and deep rich blacks, while still offering the look and feel of canvas.

The standard Solvent Finish is durable and long lasting under regular handling and display conditions. Under adverse conditions, such as being shipped site-to-site, packed and re-packed or other situations where physical abrasion is likely, we recommend the added expense of having an extra laminate film applied. All sizes (145+) are available in stretched, ¾ inch and gallery wrapped finishes. The bars used to produce the stretcher frames are identical to the ones used in our traditional photo canvas program.

and 'Traditional Canvas'
Photo Canvas prints are produced starting with Kodak Endura Metallic Paper, stripping the emulsion from its paper base, laminating the emulsion and, under extreme pressure, permanently adhering the laminated emulsion to traditional artists canvas. Photo Canvas is available in both a gloss "Diamond Finish"and lustre "Satinex Finish". Your preferred finish should be indicated when ordering or, if no surface choice is selected, we will use the Satinex Finish as the default. The canvas substrate used in production is a 100% cotton traditional artist canvas.

The Traditional Canvas is more expensive, but IMO, is a superior product. The metallic paper that they start with, gives the image a reflective quality that you just don't see everyday. And when combined with the texture of the canvas, is is a really cool effect. For example, the shot up on my wall, with the rippled water, looks like it's moving as you walk by it and the reflections change.

I think that the most common type of canvas print that you'll find these days, is similar to the Fine Art Inkjet option above, where they simply print the image onto paper that already has a canvas substrate. They still look good, but they don't have that metallic quality that I like in the Traditional option.

Can anybody recommend a place this does this?
My lab is Technicare, their head office is here in Edmonton and they mostly service western Canada. Maybe not the best option for you.

Any size would work (well maybe not really small). One of the nice things about canvas, is that the texture of the material can hide some imperfection or lack of resolution. That 50x30 on my wall was taken with my 8MP 20D. I can see the lack of resolution from close up...but a large print isn't made to be viewed close up. From a couple feet away, it looks great.

So when I sell a print for wall art, one of the first steps may be to measure the wall space where it's likely to be hung. Keep in mind that the matte & frame can be made larger or smaller, which will obviously affect the final size of what will be hung on the wall.

Canvas prints are very popular these days. I have a 50" x 30" on my livingroom wall.
Canvas-01.jpg

It's a 'Gallery Wrap', so the printed Canvas wraps around the frame and hangs directly on the wall.
Canvas-02.jpg

I sold one that was stretched/mounted and then framed, rather than gallery wrapped.
View attachment 6926

There are many, many labs/companies that can print on canvas for you.
My (pro) lab offers two different types of canvas prints.

'Fine Art Inkjet Canvas'
The specific canvas used in production is a polyester/cotton blend. The physical makeup of this canvas makes it less susceptible to changes in environmental conditions such as humidity and temperature levels. As such, this canvas will inherently stay extremely tight under a wide range of display conditions. This canvas provides a consistent and smooth surface that allows for incredibly wide color gamut and deep rich blacks, while still offering the look and feel of canvas.

The standard Solvent Finish is durable and long lasting under regular handling and display conditions. Under adverse conditions, such as being shipped site-to-site, packed and re-packed or other situations where physical abrasion is likely, we recommend the added expense of having an extra laminate film applied. All sizes (145+) are available in stretched, ¾ inch and gallery wrapped finishes. The bars used to produce the stretcher frames are identical to the ones used in our traditional photo canvas program.

and 'Traditional Canvas'
Photo Canvas prints are produced starting with Kodak Endura Metallic Paper, stripping the emulsion from its paper base, laminating the emulsion and, under extreme pressure, permanently adhering the laminated emulsion to traditional artists canvas. Photo Canvas is available in both a gloss "Diamond Finish"and lustre "Satinex Finish". Your preferred finish should be indicated when ordering or, if no surface choice is selected, we will use the Satinex Finish as the default. The canvas substrate used in production is a 100% cotton traditional artist canvas.

The Traditional Canvas is more expensive, but IMO, is a superior product. The metallic paper that they start with, gives the image a reflective quality that you just don't see everyday. And when combined with the texture of the canvas, is is a really cool effect. For example, the shot up on my wall, with the rippled water, looks like it's moving as you walk by it and the reflections change.

I think that the most common type of canvas print that you'll find these days, is similar to the Fine Art Inkjet option above, where they simply print the image onto paper that already has a canvas substrate. They still look good, but they don't have that metallic quality that I like in the Traditional option.

Can anybody recommend a place this does this?
My lab is Technicare, their head office is here in Edmonton and they mostly service western Canada. Maybe not the best option for you.

Any size would work (well maybe not really small). One of the nice things about canvas, is that the texture of the material can hide some imperfection or lack of resolution. That 50x30 on my wall was taken with my 8MP 20D. I can see the lack of resolution from close up...but a large print isn't made to be viewed close up. From a couple feet away, it looks great.

So when I sell a print for wall art, one of the first steps may be to measure the wall space where it's likely to be hung. Keep in mind that the matte & frame can be made larger or smaller, which will obviously affect the final size of what will be hung on the wall.

Very cool, Mike! I love those prints! Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

I like Mike's living room wall color. (is repaintng her house so I'm a bit nutty)

I did one for hockey last year at costco, the quality was good. I sold several of these. You get what you pay for, my local costco said if I wasnt happy I didnt have to pay for it, of course I couldnt keep the photo but it was nice enough that they left the final decision up to me. I was happy with it. I would use them again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back