Printing your photos??

Hello guys, just wondering what option you use for printing out your photos. I mostly use costco for my own stuff, but when I print for clients I'll use Adorama. Does anyone know the difference between the 2? Why is Costco so cheap? Is it worth using them? Why or why not? Thanks!

I literally just used Costco for the first time for little league team photos, and they are one of the best for cost:quality. Costco is easily just as good as Mpix and cheaper.

How much does 8x10 cost at costco? I got some at wal mart and they were 4.65 I think, thereabouts. Whcc is almost half that at 2.20 / 2.64 depending on paper. I would highly doubt that costco prints at same quality or better than a lab. Not arguing...just finding it hard to see.

Inkjet printing on the right printers is just as if not better than what labs print.

Inkjet printing on the right printers is just as if not better than what labs print.

I don't have the experience or knowledge to back up an argument or civil debate. However, my brain just doesn't agree, nor my logic, nor my reasoning. Maybe some other folks will chime in and give opinions, I'll just bow out and watch since I cannot speak intelligently on the matter.

I use WHCC also.... and they have always produced top quality for me also. As Jess states, if they suspect something is wrong, they won't print until they let you know... and will correct it if they can. There are a lot of good labs out there. Sometimes quality is more important than cost.

Uh, most print labs do inkjet prints, c-prints, and off-set printing. As critical as the printer used is the RIP software used.

Fine art photos are often printed on high resolution inkjet printers, and are known as a giclée print. The resolution (2400 dpi or higher), number of of ink colors used (5+ colors), and the archival properties of the inks used in the inkjet printers that print giclées, make giclées some of the most expensive prints one can buy. A giclée usually takes much longer to print than any other print type because of the factors listed above.

Last edited:
my opinion on photo printing services is to go with someone local and who prints as their business. not a chain store that purchased lab equipment.
reason being, i used to install adapters to allow analog printers to print digital files; this was on noritsu, agfa, fuji film printers. i have installed them in larger stores and small mom&pop '1hr photo' shops. most of the machines in the smaller business were maintained better; fresher chemicals, cleaner tanks and rollers, organized quality paper etc. the bigger chain stores don't hire professional photo lab techs, they hire high school kids and tell them what buttons to press. the chemicals are not replenished as often and and quality is not the focus, quantity is.
stay local, go professional, recommend and repeat.

Fine art photos are often printed on high resolution inkjet printers, and are known as a giclée print. The resolution (2400 dpi or higher), number of of ink colors used (5+ colors), and the archival properties of the inks used in the inkjet printers that print giclées, make giclées some of the most expensive prints one can buy. A giclée usually takes much longer to print than any other print type beause of the factors listed above.

Yes I know, I use Epson pro line printers to do just that here. 2880x1440dpi 9 colors.

the walscos across america have done nothing but ruin the industry. 1000's of small photo developers gone, cause, "well that's too much, i can just go to wally-world and get 36 4x6s for $6." same for cheap ass chinese made goods to good quality american made equivalents. STAY AWAY FROM THE MONSTERS THAT DESTROYED AMERICAN SMALL BUSINESSES.
Stay local, stay small,

I didn't intend for this to turn into debates or "mine is better than yours". Just curious why some places will cost nearly 80.00 for a 16x20 and othesr charge so much less. I realize you get what you pay for, which is where the question came from. Is it better customer service you get? Or do you truly get a 50% better photo at the end of the day? Thanks!! :)

I've always used Costco for my prints and have never been disappointed. I love getting my photos blown up to 20x30 posters and still look perfectly clear (and for only $8.99!). I even made my portfolio into a book for about $75. Every product they offer has amazing quality and it saves money. Yesterday for a client I printed (2) 11x14's, (5) 8x10's, (10) 5x7's, & (5) wallets and paid only $20.

I've used Adorama and Bay Photo and have nothing but good things to say about both companies. I've had 2 16"x24" prints done for myself at Bay Photo and they turned out wonderfully. I've had a number of 8x10's and 4x6's done by Adorama...the Kodac Metallic paper is simply gorgeous!!!

Mpix.com, i visited the site and found the solution. southrndarlin they also provided with great service customer facility.

I didn't intend for this to turn into debates or "mine is better than yours". Just curious why some places will cost nearly 80.00 for a 16x20 and othesr charge so much less. I realize you get what you pay for, which is where the question came from. Is it better customer service you get? Or do you truly get a 50% better photo at the end of the day? Thanks!! :)
The type of print, the achival properites of the paper, inks, or emulsions used, volume of print supplies bought, products offered, etc, all factor into print pricing.

Costco has many more outlets than a print lab like WHCC, and Costco can buy their supplies in larger quantities getting them a price break that lets them sell prints for a bit less than WHCC.

The cheaper prints usually fade and deteriorate sooner because they are printed using paper and inks that have a shorter life span. For instance, shorter lifespan inkjet inks are aqueous based, while longer lasting archival inkjet inks are solvent based. Solvent based inks cost more than aqueous based inks do.

The same applies to print papers. the more expensive papers may have an achival lifetime rated at 200 years and much less expensive papers may have an archival lifetime rated at 20 years.

Just got my prints back today from Nations Photo Lab and couldn't be happier they were rather large 30x40's. They look great, were packaged amazing, free fast shipping (took 2 days) and best yet on sale for only $27.

Most reactions

Back