Best Studio Lens for Full Body shots?

Samerr9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all..

I have always wondered what is the best lens for full body shots in studio? if it should be long.. what is the minimum required for both full frame and crop bodies?

Thank you for you help.

I say 85mm.. but there are people who shoot with 200mm :)

I say 85mm.. but there are people who shoot with 200mm :)

is 50mm in a croped body not good?

How big is your studio.

15x15 but I have more space to move backwords through the kitchen passage :)

I used this sketch before in another threat, it is in Meters not feet

Untitled-1-4.jpg

50 mm is not bad, but I think 85 would be better. You can see the distortion with 50mm (crop body or full frame). Let me try and find you this link.

I think 50mm looks horrible. 85 and longer is best.

I think 50mm looks horrible. 85 and longer is best.

I see you moved your lenses to sigma! so you recommend the 85 as I cant afford the 85 1.2 L. I was planning to get the 24-70 soon.

I wouldn't worry about the getting the 1.2; either the 1.4 or 1.8 will do nicely, and FWIW, I agree with Robin; 85 and up is best. You can use 50 on a crop-body, but it's not going to be as good for this sort of work as slightly longer glass.

I wouldn't worry about the getting the 1.2; either the 1.4 or 1.8 will do nicely, and FWIW, I agree with Robin; 85 and up is best. You can use 50 on a crop-body, but it's not going to be as good for this sort of work as slightly longer glass.

Thank you Tirediron. I will use the kit lens on 85mm after I move and if it works I will decide on which is the next lens.

I think you're going to have a hard time using 85mm for a FULL BODY shot in a 15'x15' room. By the time you add a backdrop and some space between it and your model, you're gonna have 10-12' to work with with your back against the wall. On the 60D, your field of view at 12' away is only 3'2" x 2'1". Even if you had the full 15', you're only going to fit the full body of a 3'11" person in portrait orientation.

If you drop down to 50mm, you're going to be limited to 5'5" height (portrait orientation) at 12' and 6'9" for the 15' foot length of the room. You're going to either have to get a FF camera, a larger studio, use an abnormally short focal length, or forget about doing full body shots.

Hi all..

I have always wondered what is the best lens for full body shots in studio? if it should be long.. what is the minimum required for both full frame and crop bodies?

Thank you for you help.

On either crop body or full frame, the 85mm focal length is the shortest option with almost zero distortion. You can go longer than that, as many do, but if your space is limited for now, that's obviously not going to happen.

With the space limitations you listed, you won't be able to get a full body shot at a focal length that will provide zero distortion. You'll need to shoot in a different location, or adjust your expectations to waist up shots or headshots...

Thats not a full body shot, so whats the value of that ?

AFAIK the recommented full frame lenses for face are 135mm and for full body 50mm. Or, much easier to memorize: the optimal distance to the person of which you want a portrait is about 5m.

I certainly have no problem with people on my 35mm on DX (which, thanks to the 1.5 crop factor, is about 50mm for full frame). I just keep 5m distance to my subjects and they look natural.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back