What's new

Probably will buy d7000, need lens recommendations. Specifics inside!

Diplomaat

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 7, 2011
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Panama, Panama
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I am new to the site and I hope to be a part of it for a long time. Some background information:

Basically a newbie to DSLR cameras. I have taken a couple of shots with them, but my experience has been both with p&s cameras and a superzoom that had some manual controls.

However, I enjoy photography very much and I am really interested in upgrading to a DSLR.

Now, I would like to let you know my plans for the camera.

It would serve 2 main purposes:

1. Travel photography. I travel about once a month, and I would really like a camera that would let me get great shots. I am not talking about the technique side of the photos, since that is something I am working on, but on having the versatility to adjust for the situation and get more focused shots, crisper images, etc. I am, for example, taking a first ever trip to Cuba, and I am sure that will be full of photo ops.

2. Even though I've listed this as the second reason, I would say it's the primary one. I am a competitive cat exhibitor. As such, I need to be able to take great shots of my cats, both for promotional uses (website and print) as well as show pictures. Shows are my main concern, since normal p&s can't deal with both the speed the cat will usually be moving, as well as the low light levels some of the show halls suffer from. Similarly, even though the superzoom has some manual controls, it can't stack up to a DSLR.

So what do you guys think?

Looking forward to some advice!

Best,

Diplomaat.
 
Do you have an idea what equivalent focal lengths you've been using for most of your photos? This can help you choose the lens that will can provide similar framing with your DSLR.

With the Nikon D7000 ("DX" format), you'd have an APS-C size sensor with a 1.5 field of view crop factor compared to 35mm film ("FX" format).

Something like the Tamron Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 lens would cover the same very useful range of focal lengths as the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, but with a larger aperture (for low light).
 
Do you have an idea what equivalent focal lengths you've been using for most of your photos? This can help you choose the lens that will can provide similar framing with your DSLR.

With the Nikon D7000 ("DX" format), you'd have an APS-C size sensor with a 1.5 field of view crop factor compared to 35mm film ("FX" format).

Something like the Tamron Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 lens would cover the same very useful range of focal lengths as the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, but with a larger aperture (for low light).

I second the recommendation of the tamron 17-50mm f 2.8--it's a great wide to medium lens, a nikon brand in the same class would cost 1500+ the tamron is only 300-350 used, not much more new. I've heard the cheaper non-vc version is sharper then the vc version.

But that will leave you without a telephoto. Ideally you'd want a 70-200mm f2.8 ads, but they sell for 1300+ used. If that's too much pick up a 55-200mm vr on ebay-- probably only cost you 150 or less.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom