Problem: New d3100, Pictures are not sharp

Thanks for all the advice. I can post some images tomorrow, shot in auto and manual with the same settings.
I checked the set up and right now
Image quality is…jpeg fine
Picture control is set to… Standard
White balance to… Auto
Noise reduction…on

I've got White Balance set to Auto plus A3 on my D3100 and shoot using Vivid

Shooting menu > White Balance > White Balance Auto > A3
Shooting menu > set picture control > Vivid > OK
Shooting Menu > set picture control > Vivid > Sharping > +2-3 notches
Shooting Menu > set picture control > Vivid > Saturation > + 1-2 notches

Also: I have the File Number Sequence set to On

Do you have any images you can share at these settings? I made those adjustments to my D3100 last night and will take some samples shots…

Thanks

I'm really not sure if I have any shots that hasn't been altered in post processing.

Here is an article that helps explain setting up a camera: Camera Adjustments

Anyhow, this photo was taken recently with my D3100 (18-200mm VR) setup this way with slight post processing.

Shooting menu > White Balance > White Balance Auto > A3
Shooting menu > set picture control > Vivid > OK
Shooting Menu > set picture control > Vivid > Sharping > +2-3 notches
Shooting Menu > set picture control > Vivid > Saturation > + 1-2 notches
I adjusted the camera as described above, except I don’t know how the -3 and -2 are set.

Two images taken in auto mode #1 auto focus #2 Manual focus ,right from the card

Thanks

Cool.

I would try the F-stop around F8-11 next (lower during low light conditions) and maybe with and ISO 200.

See if you think this is any better: (FWIW, you didn't need the VR turned on for this one)

DSC_0074Edited.jpg~original

With a point and shoot your sensor is very small which has the effect of making your depth of field (in focus area) really large--this makes focus less critical than it is with a Dslr, especially at wide apertures.

See if you think this is any better: (FWIW, you didn't need the VR turned on for this one)

DSC_0074Edited.jpg~original

Yea thats better, Mine right from the card is dull, Now i have taken shots in manual and that helps when I am in control but still is dull not crisp…

Thanks everyone, I think I got it figured out. This is a practice shot with adjustments shot in manual and straight off the card.

I think it’s much better I can work with this.

Yea thats better, Mine right from the card is dull, Now i have taken shots in manual and that helps when I am in control but still is dull not crisp…

All I did was increase the contrast by introducing an S into the curve, up the saturation a bit and a mild high-pass sharpening. That's probably something your old camera did by default.

Yes, the image in post #21 has vivid greens, saturated orange in the flowers, etc. It's been "juiced" a little bit. P&S digitals mostly all do this by default. Boosting the saturation in-camera, and elevating the in-camera sharpening a couple notches (or even three) will tend to give a more vibrant straight out of camera JPEG file.

One thing to also consider is the Automatic Dynamic Lighting setting setting, which helps bridge deep shadows and bright highlights; that setting needs to be activated too.

Most reactions

Back