Problem with D-50

15bps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When I am shooting a long burst of photos with my D-50 it will stop shooting and its like it cuts off. Everything on the read out will go blank and the F will go to F-- and start blinking. Can anyone give me a idea what causes this?

what type of lens are yo using? does it have an aperture ring on it? if so, than your f/stop MUST be at your smallest aperture.

If that's not the case, than reset your camera by holding both of the green labeld buttons at the same time. i've heard of that fixing people's problems.

that's the G type lense isn't it? I've not encountered that problem with my D70 and that lense. try the reset, see what happens

15bps said:
When I am shooting a long burst of photos with my D-50 it will stop shooting and its like it cuts off. Everything on the read out will go blank and the F will go to F-- and start blinking. Can anyone give me a idea what causes this?
That's probably the memory buffer that has filled up to the brim and can take no more. It has to flush some of those exposures to your memory card before it can go on. That takes time.

F-- means no lens attached. Why this happens during bursts I don't know. Does it correct itself or do you have to cycle power to get it back? Try cleaning the mount surfaces on the lens and body. I'd try to wipe it with a clean cloth first and if needed use a pencil eraser. Obviously be very careful not to get eraser bits in the camera body.

I have to cycle the camera off and back on to get it to clear this problem up. I don't think it is the card buffer because the meter in the bottom right of the viewfinder says It is writing with an 8-10 picture buffer.

15bps said:
I have to cycle the camera off and back on to get it to clear this problem up. I don't think it is the card buffer because the meter in the bottom right of the viewfinder says It is writing with an 8-10 picture buffer.
The buffer being full won't clear the display and won't require a power cycle either. It will just disable the shutter until it transfers enough data to continue. F-- is definitley the code for no lens. Clean the contacts and remount, that should help.

Thanks for all of your help. It seems that rotating the apature ring to a higher setting has fixed the problem.

The problem was throwing me off because I haven't had a problem with the buffer being full up until the last couple of weeks. About the time I changed lenses.

It is an apeture problem rather than a buffer one. If the buffer is full, it flashes Proc Job or something similar. If it flashes the F-- one, it could mean that you didn't have it on the f22 or Auto Apeture setting on the lens and the camera was in a mode that requires it to be automatically selected.

That's strange, F-- is no lens, FEE is not set to minimum aperture. Oh well, I took a shot...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back